Consultation + Surgery in 7 Days?

I am thinking about getting traveling to Seattle from Alaska to get a rhinoplasty. Would I be able to get a consultation and surgery in 1 week? If not, what is a safe time range to take leave from work?

Consultation + Surgery in 7 Days?

+2

A consultation followed by surgery is possible but, in my opinion, not always advisable. Most good Plastic surgeons have surgeries scheduled weeks to months ahead of their consultation schedules. Unless there has been a cancellation it is unlikely that you can be fitted into such a surgeon's schedule. Moreover, before settling on any one surgeon you should see several surgeons and hear what each has to say as well as what the prevailing opinion may be. Only after you have done your home work should you go ahead and schedule your surgery. Why not take a few days to see several of Seattle's best Plastic surgeons (such as Dr. Richard Rand)? Then, pick the one you liked the best and schedule your surgery and a 7-10 days stay after the surgery locally several weeks or months AFTER your "scouting" visit?  That would be a much better way to get the result you want.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Consultation and surgery

+2

I would make sure you have some type of conversation with your surgeon ahead of time to make sure his or her schedule will accommodate having the surgery right away- our surgery wait list can be up to 2-3 months.  You can probably send photos ahead of time for some assessment- almost like an on line consult.  Make sure you stay in town for 1-2 weeks after wards depending on your surgeon's preferences. 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and time off

+2
I have done many surgeries on patients from out of the area the day after an in person consultation . What is more important is giving yourself enough time to recover which is one to two weeks after a rhinoplasty. It would be best that you remain near your surgeon for at least one week for post operative visits.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

One week off for rhinoplasty

+2

For my patients one week is enough. I remove sutures and splints then and travel is acceptable. There will be some swelling and possibly bruising. You should call your surgeon and ask if your timeline is acceptable. Barring any unusual circumstances, it should be fine.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Consultation and surgery for out of town patients

+1

This is certainly possible and has been done numerous times in our office.  We work closely with our out of town patients to determine if they are a candidate for surgery and provide guidance in making travel arrangements that will allow for all necessary appointments to occur. 

Patients are not cleared to fly after surgery for roughly two weeks, though some have been cleared to fly home after 8 days.  Patients are instructed to refrain from physical activity for two weeks after surgery, so if your work requires physical tasks, you will need to have two weeks for recovery.

Consulttion and Surgery in a Week

+1

We will do this for out of town patients.  Many variables though that come into play most of the time., Generally;  You have to be a very healthy candidate without need for medical optimization.  You must be an appropriate candidate for that type of surgery, (physically and mentally).  You must have a plan for your peri-operative care.  You must stay in town for a few days after.  The surgeon must have time on his schedule to accommodate you.  There are many logistical issues that need to be worked out as well.  Best to contact your perspective doctor's office far in advance.  Do as much work ahead of time.  Submitting photos can be helpful  Be prepared that the plastic surgeon may not allow the plan to go forward or alter the plan after you see him.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Surgery on the run

+1

with the ability to consult over the internet in real time face to face this should not be a problem. understand that a physical exam is still essential and be prepared for the unexpected glitch. in my office it is our routine to see pts in varying parts of their travels. we generally get all ducks in a row just as if you were in town. the physical exam at that point is to confirm our visual findings and in rare cases alter a plan.  remember the most important decision is always made before the cutting begins. choose a surgeon in whom you have confidence and don't be afraid to cancel surgery if it just doesn't "feel" right. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Consultation for Rhinoplasty and surgery in one week

+1

I strongly recommend a consultation, and if all is appropriate, get a pre-operative visit quickly. The procedure can be done in a few days if the lab work and assessment are acceptable. The travel arrangements, arrangements for someone to stay with you the first night, and a follow up visit within a week are all to be considered and arranged. We do many rhinoplasty procedures on patients from other cities and states with difficult time schedules.  

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation + Surgery in 7 Days?

+1

This is becoming more and more common. The way I handle this out of town surgery in my practice is as follows: First internet/ email contact. I request medical history, photos of areas for surgery. Depending upon the area, in this case a rhinoplasty. I request at least 1 week to 10 days in Miami. Blood works, paper work, consents are done prior to arrival for first visit. At that visit we meet examine, discuss, this could take a few hours. Than the next day or two operate. Follow up in 2 days, than again at 5 days. If all OK than fly home. 

Rhinoplasty consultation and surgery in 1 week.

+1

This can be done and many offices like ours do this based on availability. However, the most important issue is the quality of the rhinoplasty. Make sure you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural, non surgical noses.