Can One Consultation Be Enough?

I've spent hours looking at the work of various rhinoplasty surgeons & the only surgeon I've been able to find with really natural looking results (and no negative comments!) is in Beverley Hills. He gave me an email consultation based on my photos. I'm going to try organise a call with him. From looking at his pictures I'm convinced he is the right surgeon. I keep reading that it is important to consult several before choosing. Do you think one consultation can be enough?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Other considerations in selecting a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Thanks for your request. A rhinoplasty operation can be a very rewarding one that can change your life to the better. Finding the right surgeon is very crucial. You have gone about it by looking at various B&A photos and you liked the ones of the plastic surgeon that you chose. There is nothing wrong with that; however, if you have to travel a long distance, the best advise I can give you is to look at as many websites as possible (of board certified plastic surgeons who do a substantal number of rhinoplasties), consult with a local reputable plastic surgeon, so you can compare, and make sure that you and the surgeon with whom you consult are on the same page in terms of goals and realistic expectations. Also, do not underestimate the role of the staff, location of surgery, and follow-up. good luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Consultations

+1

If you are comfortable with the surgeon and like his results, stay with the surgeon. If you have doubts after your visit, see another surgeon and then decide.  There is no mandate to get multiple opinions if you are happy with your first choice.  Good luck! /nsn

Second opinions are almost always a good idea, if only to give you more confidence that you made the right choice.

+1

Interesting name and I wonder if it reflects your politics...If you live in Bevely Hills, that sounds just great.  I don't know where you live.  However, there are advantages to having a plastic surgeon in your area, whom you can see in follow-up and return to easily if there are problems (repeat surgery in about 15% of rhinoplasty patients, even in the best hands).  Remember, all plastic surgeons have unhappy patients so don't be too worried if you check another plastic surgeon and see a few negative postings.  Also, there are plenty of excellent plastic surgeons that can achieve natural-looking results (don't be too impressed with a Beverly Hills address).  Usually this does not mean you have to travel out of state and incur many more expenses.  So check around a little more.  Inquire about costs.  If you still like your first choice, and like how your phone call goes, you can go see that surgeon with even greater confidence.  I've attached a link to this part of my own website just in case you want to read more.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-face/procedures/rhinoplasty/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

One consultation

+1

If you like the surgeon and happy how things go in the consult then why go anywhere else. If you are unsure then go for another consultation.

Is one consultation enough for rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes and no. If everything lines up nicely, then yes. That means you have seen his/her work, perhaps know someone who has had successful surgery, felt comfortable with him/her during the consultation, check his/her reputation on line and overall generally have a good feeling of confidence about the surgeon. Otherwise if there is some remaining doubts, another surgeon's opinion is in order. I wouldnt recommend several, as this often results in confusion which then generates anxiety.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Number of Rhinoplasty Consultations

+1

If you have not had the opportunity to actually see other patients who have had a rhinoplasty by this surgeon, I suggest you take the time to get a couple opinions. That will give you more confidence that you're you making the best decision. Ultimately you want an experienced surgeon who achieves natural results in noses like yours.

Rhinoplasty Procedure

+1

Thank you for your question. A cosmetic rhinoplasty is a huge decision, one that requires plenty of patience and perseverance. A rhinoplasty is not something to consider lightly. I stress to patients that only those who are wholly dissatisfied with their appearance, who want to change their facial structure, and who have great patience should continue with this procedure. This is not to dissuade anyone from having a nose job—only to stress the importance of careful and serious consideration. I would suggest consulting with multiple board-certified,  experienced doctors before undergoing surgery. Best of luck.

Appropriate number of consultations before choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

While one consultation certainly can be enough, it's probably a better idea to have a couple of other consultations before you choose a surgeon.  It's great that you've found one that you like instantly and that you click with.  However, this is an important procedure and you've wisely spent time researching to find a surgeon that you like and have done your due diligence to examine his work.  You owe it to yourself to at least hear how other surgeons would approach your nose, and that way you can be completely certain you made the right choice.  

More than one consultation not always necessary

+1

You didn't mention where you live. If you are in Southern California, then this consult may be all that you need. However if travel is necessary to get to that doctor, I would suggest that you also check in your community.  Fancy photos and reviews can be persuasive however there are definate disadvantages to traveling a long distance for surgery.  For example:

1).How much extra will it cost for you and family member to stay in a hotel for the time required, how much will the travel cost?

2). How will you handle things if there is a complication once you have returned home? Who will see you at home if you need  help right away?

It is quite likely that while enroute to your Beverly Hills surgeon you will fly over numerous other surgeons equally capable.  Before you commit it might make sense to get some local recommendations and ask to see their work.  Geographic location doesn't usually determine surgical expertise.

Good luck with your search,

Dr. Hargrave

Albany Plastic Surgeon