Consultation Fee for Revision Tummy Tuck?

Why do most doctors charge consultation fee after knowing that I had a tt done a year ago, even before I arrive in their office and they advertise "free consultation"? I don't really know why? I'm sure it'd be harder for the revision in terms of tissue healing and opening up the same scar, etc... but more for consultation fee? I found that bizarre.

Revision tummy tuck

+3

Many plastic sugeons charge a nominal or no consultation fee for cosmetic consultations.

Patients from RealSelf tend to be sophisticated and many doctors waive consultation fees for such patients.

Your most important consideration will be to find a plastic surgeon experienced in revisional tummy tuck work who can help you.

Free consultation

+2

I agree that it's bizarre but I've seen many patients that have been operated on by other surgeons and the consultation is fairly moot because the surgery just happened (so it ends up being a waste of time).  The intention of the charge for a consultation, even though mine is free, is to weed our patients that are simply wanting to talk about what happened.  That's what realself is for! 

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Consultation charges

+2

The policy varies from office to office.  Our consultations are complementary (free).

If some other office tells you that their consultations are free, then they should honor that promise.

Some offices charge a small fee just to make sure that the prospective patients are serious about the idea of plastic surgery.

Tummy tuck revisions can range in complexity from simple scar revisions to total re-do's.  Make sure your surgeon-to-be has a great deal of experience in this area.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Consultation fee for cosmetic surgery

+2

This depends on your personal philosophy. I've been on both sides of the fence. When I did not charge a consultation fee, I saw a lot of shoppers, interest seekers who were not serious about plastic surgery. I spent a lot of time educating these "prospective patients" who never became patients of the practice. I charge a nominal fee for a one hour consultation and this fee is deducted from the surgical fee if the patient schedules or they can use this money  as a discount on any of the services we offer except for skin care creams. This option is without expiration. 

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Consultation fee for revision tummy tuck

+2

Some surgeons will offer a free consultation for cosmetic surgery, but charge a consultation fee for reconstructive surgery.  It sounds like these surgeons may be considering the revision more along the lines of a reconstructive surgery than a cosmetic surgery.  I am only guessing, but that would make the most sense.  If you call to make the appointment, make sure that you advise the receptionist that you are looking for a cosmetic procedure, and that you are not looking to have this covered by insurance.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Consultation fees

+2

If the fee was supposed to be free is should be free.  Make sure you understood as some offices charge a fee and roll it into the cost of surgery if you do it with them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Consultation fee for revision

+1

Every office is different.  The consultation for a first time patient vs. a revisionary surgery patient is different - usually, the revisionary patient is a bit more complicated and the surgeon must spend more time with that patient.  For most offices, the consultation fee will go toward the surgery if you decide to proceed.  

The most important thing you should be researching is the experience of the surgeon you wish to visit and how much experience they have with revisionary surgery such as yours.

Best Wishes!

Weeding out the "look-i-loos"

+1

Many prospective "revision" patients are not seriously considering surgery outside of their original surgeons, so many practices charge for these kinds of "second opinion consultations. It is to keep those not seriously seeking surgery out of the office.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Consultation fees for revision

+1

Not every plastic surgeon offers complimentary consultations for cosmetic surgery, but many do. A consultation for a revision is for an opinion, just as it would be for a reconstructive procedure. Follow-up with the surgeon who did the original operation would normally be included as part of the fee so seeing someone else is the patient's choice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Paying a consultation fee for a review of another surgeon's work is fair.

+1

Many patients want reassurance that their operation is yielding a good result as healing progresses.  A surgeon's time is valuable and it seems fair to me that he or she should be paid for their time.  If you want free follow-up by a surgeon other than your own, RealSelf.com is a good choice.