I Have a Consult Scheduled, Panniculectomy or Full Abdominoplasty Needed? (photo)

5'3, highest weight 319, after pregnancy and weight loss, i've been stable at 220 lbs - stubbornly for the past 11 months. I walk 5 miles on a daily basis & Power 90 which got me to 220 lbs w/out surgery. I've got the apron of skin/fat hanging over my hips/public area. I have a consult scheduled locally but i'm worried my BMI is still too high (38) to have a successful consult resulting in having either surgery scheduled. I'd just like to stop the slapping of skin when I walk & feel better.

I have a consult scheduled - panniculectomy or full tummy tuck needed?

+2
Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! A panniculectomy is an excellent method for removing the excess skin and soft tissue of the lower abdomen (abdominal panniculus), often caused by weight loss. It is mainly performed to ameliorate symptoms caused by the abdominal apron such as hygiene issues, excoriations, rashes/infections, back pain, etc. A panniculectomy gives almost immediate relief from these issues as well as has been shown to stimulate additional weight loss as your activity level is increased after removal of the panniculus. An abdominoplasty is more of an aesthetic procedure in that as opposed to simply excising this excess tissue in a wedge to relieve complaints, an abdominoplasty focuses more on abdominal contouring, abdominal wall tightening, re-insetting the belly button, as well as often times the addition of liposuction.

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for a panniculectomy or body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results as well as be the safest for you. Neither one is a weight loss procedure. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you. You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right one for you. Depending on your examination, photo documentation, and discussion of your symptoms, insurance coverage may be possible. Discuss our plan with your surgeon as these are two separate, but related procedures - it may be a possibility. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Rec full abdominoplasry

+1

I know its difficult but everyone wants you to get through surgery without complications. If you think slapping skin is bad, you would not want a roaring infection or dead skin...its much worse. Tummy tuck is mainly to improve shape and contour by plicating your core tight then redraping the skin. Without the core thightening (muscle repair), its not a tummy tuck, but a panniculectomy (skin and fat resection).

Raj S. Ambay, MD