Can I Go on a Consult for Rhinoplasty Just to Ask if They Think I Need It?

I like my nose straight on & in profile, it seems small to me, but I noticed in pics where I'm bent forward a little, my bridge seems wide. Everyone tells me I'm being stupid when I say my nose is big, so I'd like a professional opinion, but I'm scared of going to a doctor who might play into my possibly unfounded fears. Would a good doctor tell me if I'm being silly or actually need a nose job or no? That may seem dumb but no one stopped Michael Jackson & his nose looked awful. Any advice? Thx.

Rhinoplasty consult

+2

A reputable rhinoplasty surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, wants, and concerns regarding issues to fix their own nose.  It is important to communicate with the surgeon about what you would like changed.  It is also important for the surgeon to tell you what he or she can or cannot do in the realm of rhinoplasty just to set the expectations appropriately.  

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty Consultation - Achieving Desired Results

+2

You are best off if you can identify what features of your nose bother you, and then find out if your expectations are realistic. In addition, the use of computer imagining can provide you with- when performed properly- excellent ideas of what your nose will actually look like with surgery.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes! Ask an expert!

+2

Rhinoplasty surgery is a great procedure for refinement of the nose. It is important to find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and with whom you have a good rapport. This may take several consultations, but it is an important step.
Experience matters. Look at the physician’s before and after pictures and discuss your goals. With the right fit of physician to patient, you should have a lovely outcome and have a more balanced look to your facial features.

Yes, absolutely!

+2

There are many undecided patients about their procedures. They come for the consultation just to get some information about the procedure they are interested in. Some patients are not financially ready to make a commitment on the day of the consultation. Meeting with the surgeon gives you a great opportunity to prepare yourself for that big day. There is a lot you need to plan for, like time off from work for the recovery, pick up after the surgery, some help at home. During the consultation for the rhinoplasty through computer simulation, doctor will be able to show you what kind of change of you nose you can expect and what cannot be achieved. So the consultation is always a great idea. Many offices offer a free consultation. Make your appointment in advance so you can plan ahead.

Web reference: http://drturowski.com

You may get insight regarding Rhinoplasty Surgery by posting your photos here on RealSelf.

+2

If you're concerned about posting your photos publicly, you could get a list of local, certified facial plastic surgeons at abfprs.org. Before going on a consultation, you could check your doctor's certification, work experience, photos, and testimonials.

When you go to your consultation, it would be best to explain what you dislike about your nose, and what you would like to achieve. In my practice, computer-imaging is a helpful tool to understand what could be achieved by well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will an ethical surgeon tell me if I don't need a nose job?

+2

Any ethical surgeon does NOT recommend surgery unless the perceived "defect" is real, correctable, and within the skill set and experience of the surgeon. Some patients continue to request more and more changes in their appearance, and surgeons have to decide if they prefer to decline additional surgical efforts in any given patient, or if they will do the best they can to deliver the requested result, even if it does not conform to the surgeon's personal "ideal" of appropriate. Then, of course, there is the professional feeling of "responsibility" if you have previously operated on a patient who persists in requesting additional change. Just when do you say "Enough!"? Every patient and surgeon has to answer that individually.

I have found over the many years I have been in practice that honesty is truly the best policy. If I don't think surgery is appropriate, I tell the patient that. If I feel that the patient is better served elsewhere, I refer the patient to that provider. Even if I have a "borderline" situation, I don't "encourage" surgery, I let the patient ask me to provide it, because if something unanticipated happens (rarely does, but always possible), I wouldn't want to feel like I "pressured" the patient into surgery, or even operated on someone who "wants" surgery, but really would not benefit from it. I have seen more of those patients back years later for something else, or one of their friends or family who appreciated my honesty long ago, that it more than makes up for the loss of one operation's revenue!

Go and seek the opinion of a seasoned, experienced surgeon who has learned the art of saying "No" when surgery is not advisable. But also, don't listen to "friends" who may be projecting their own fears, anxiety, or even jealousy in advising you that you "don't need it." Ask someone objective (or several professionals) and see what sounds honest and best for you. Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/nose-surgery.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Consult for Rhinoplasty

+2
A professional experienced cosmetic surgeon will be able to spend the time with you to discuss your concerns and answer your questions. You should feel comfortable and not pressured to make a decision before considering all the options carefully.
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

A good plastic surgeon with the proper credentials and a long experience with rhinoplasties should be able to give you the  right advice.

Need for Rhinoplasty

+2

You raise an excellent question. An honest, experienced surgeon will answer all your questions so you can make an educated decision whether or not a rhinoplasty is good or necessary for you. Your consultant should discuss your motivations and expectations.

Rhinoplasty consult

+2

Dear Chrissy81,

The decision to get elective cosmetic surgery should be up to you.  We are here to inform you of the realistic results that you may have after a rhinoplasty.  It might be a good idea to look at some before and after pictures of other patients who have a similar anatomy as you do and see if the rhinoplasty makes them look better.  Just be wary of any surgeon who has to convince you to do surgery....it's a team effort and you both want to have the same plan of action.

best,

Nima Shemirani