What is Considered '2 Weeks' For Swelling?

I had a Septorhinoplasty done on the 8th, 10 days ago. I hear that the swelling starts to really settle down within the first 2 weeks. I know that it can take much longer, but it's 'socially acceptable' at 2 weeks. Now.. is this 2 weeks AFTER you get the cast off? Or right after the operation? Because it's been 2 days since I got the cast off, and I'm still VERY swollen from the front.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling can vary from patient to patient. In general, swelling will be 70% resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder will go down over time. Two days following removal of your cast, you will be quite swollen, and this will improve over the next few weeks. Factors that influence swelling can include the thickness of the patient's skin, whether or not tip work was performed, and whether the procedure is a revision. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it will take some time. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Need time for swelling to resolve following rhinoplasty

+1

There are several factors that are involved with post operative swelling following a rhinoplasty.  Usually the profile looks relatively good when the splint is removed but the tip of the nose and dorsum of the nose will definitely be swollen for several weeks and even months.  Give it time and you should achieve your goal.  

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty will vary depending on the extent of surgery that is performed. Swelling can last for several weeks to several months. But, generally, when an open rhinoplasty approach is performed for tip contouring and hump reduction, patients tend to develop the more long-lasting swelling than those who undergo an intranasal approach to hump reduction alone.  When it becomes socially less noticeable depends on the type of surgery you have had and also how well you heal. So, it's impossible to guarantee that all patients will be ready for "prime time" 2 weeks after a septo-rhinoplasty. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty is variable

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty can vary greatly from person to person, location on the nose, and who is doing the "noticing." Two weeks in general is a good estimate as to when swelling will be come down so that people you see on the street will not typically notice that you've had an operation. Others who are close to you and know you've had an operation will likely still notice.

At one month, your surgeon, and you (the patient) will still notice swelling, but it's very uncommon for anyone else to notice.

Other factors to keep in mind are as follows:

• the tip typically stays swollen longer relative to the dorsum (bridge)
  • patients with thicker, darker, oilier skin types have prolonged swelling as well.
  • more involved operations such as revisions or those with a lot of tip work stay swollen longer

I hope that helps. If you have concerns about prolonged swelling, you should not hesitate to call your surgeon so that he or she can take a look.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon