Considering Directvision Technique Breast Augmentation, Any Thoughts?

I am 31 yrs old, 5'8 and 130 lbs. I have had 4 kids and breastfed all of them. I am smaller than a 32 A and wanting to go to a B/C cup. Directvision technique is said to be very fast healing - resume all normal activities in 48 hours except for lifting over 10 lbs for a couple of weeks. Would love to get other opinions?

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I use all the techniques but I agree the IMC or inframmary crease incision is by far the slickest of all the operations as you can easily see everything 

Marketing

+1

I agree with other surgeons on this page, in that advertising this "technique" is more marketing than technique. Rapid recovery is more about length of discomfort than healing time. Any operation takes 6 weeks to heal, and it does not matter what technique is used.

In addition to making certain your surgeon is Board Certified, look at his photos, and check with your Ob/Gyn to see who he recommends.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation with "DirectVision" vs One Day Recovery Breast Augmentation

+1

Definately sounds like a marketing ploy. The other issue is the recovery. I differ in opinon with some of the others who answered this question. Healing is not always the same with every surgical technque. Those who practice using a minimally truamatic technique will heal and recover quicker. Beware of those who use the term Rapid Recovery. What is "rapid"? 1 day? 2 days? 1 week?

There is a technique where 98% of patients can recover in 24 hours or less (lifting hands over head right away in the recovery room, out to dinner and shopping the same day, driving the next day and no need for narcotics after surgery. 

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Direct Vision technique is not unique and a marketing ploy for breast augmentation

+1

Direct Vision technique is not unique and a marketing ploy for breast augmentation. I perform all of my breast augmentations by direct vision but do not market it as doing anything unique.

Make certain your plastic surgeon is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ask for before and after photographs.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Direct vision

+1

I also have never heard this term used. I doubt it is anything unique.  You might want to find out specifically what it is referring to.  I use direct vision in all my breasts augmentations, but I certainly don't try to make it sound like I'm doing something new or unique.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Directivision technique for breast augmentation

+1

I have never heard of directivision for breast augmentation. Sounds like a marketing technique to get you to come in.  Be careful.

Healing is not a function of a "special" technique--it is a complex set of biophysical reactions that occur at the same rate!

+1

I'll be more direct than my colleagues who are trying to be tactful and gentle in their answers.

"Directvision" is a marketing effort that has succeeded in getting you to believe that your busy lifestyle can be returned to more quickly than if you went to some other doctor.

THIS "TECHNIQUE" IS NOTHING NEW OR SPECIAL!

Assuming you are healthy and have proper nutrition, vitamin levels, etc. you heal no faster nor slower than any other healthy human in similar condition. Of course, there are subtle differences in sick, elderly, or patients with poor nutrition, but the real variability is in choice of surgeon.

Careful surgery with precise technique and meticulous hemostasis to decrease bleeding, bruising, and the lowest possible bacterial contamination of your implants will give you the best result, NOT some "brand-name" procedure.

The same applies to the "flash recovery" breast augmentation, or the "overnight recovery" breast augmentation, etc.

Actually, "Directvision" is clever--I suspect your snake-oil salesman of a surgeon probably does indeed do better surgery under direct vision than if he or she closes their eyes or does the surgery "blind!"

Please ensure your surgeon is an American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon, not just "board-certified" in cosmetic surgery (NOT an ABMS board), or a specialty that has nothing to do with plastic surgery, or one of many "bogus" boards.

This is marketing hype and nothing more. Beware!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation technique

+1

I concur with my colleagues here.   As board certified plastic surgeons, we are generally on top of new techniques that legitimately manifest in our specialty.   I am also not familiar with this "directvision" technique.  Sounds like this is some sort of branding or marketing name.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Direct Vision Breast Augmentation

+1

As board certified plastic surgeons, we all like to keep abreast the newest and safest techniques that can deliver the best result for our patients. I am not sure what Direct Vision Breast augmentation technique entails. I googled this procedure and found it on one website. I also looked up the initial papers describing its use in cardiac surgery. After doing this little bit of research, I think this term is more marketing hype than substance. As plastic surgeons, we all have our unique modifications of time honed techniques with a good track reord for delivering optimal results safely. I think it's is likely one of those minor technique modifications that was labeled with a new name. It would be best to consult several plastic surgeons and discuss the best breast augmentation option for you. 

Perry Liu, MD

Directvision breast augmentation

+1

As a board certified plastic surgeon who prides himself on staying up to date and ahead of the curve with new advancements in implants and techniques I can tell you that I have never heard the term "directvision technique" in breast augmentation.  I suspect more marketing than substance but would be interested in some follow up.

Every plastic surgeon has their own specific techniques for breast augmentation.  For submuscular implants there is no way to avoid the simple fact that a small skin incision is made, some pectoral muscle is divided, and an implant in placed in a pocket that previously did not exist.  There IS some pain associated with this.  There are certainly some "tricks" that have been shown to improve postoperative pain such as techniques to minimize postoperative swelling and bruising, proper implant selection, accurate pocket development, and early activity and arm motion.  "Direct visualization" while creating the implant pocket using a lighted retractor or endoscope aids these goals. Possibly that is what the term is referring to?

In my opinion, full lifting 2 weeks after surgery is probably not harmful for most patient.Feeling good enough to otherwise resume normal activities by 48 hours (or sooner), should always be the goal.

However, In my practice I have seen patients who have resumed heavy lifting too soon and developed a problem (one late hematoma and one implant malposition) and I am a little hesitant to allow full activities that soon.  This is a big investment for the patient and a little time off to avoid complications is worthwhile. 

Best of luck in your recovery.  A surgeon who places emphasis on ease and speed of your recovery is certainly a good thing. 

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon