Is This Swelling from TT or Will I Need Revision? (photo)

These are some pics about 3 -3 1/2 wks P.O. full TT/muscle repair /lipo my Dr says it is swelling and will go down. It just dosn't look like it is to me. It seems like left over skin still, all the po pics I see of other ppl don't look like this. Please let me know if this looks like it is welling or extra skin.

Possible Revision in Your Future

+1

While there is obviously some degree of swelling and you may even have some residual fluid beneath the abdominal wall that needs to be drained, I believe there is a high probability that you will need a revision to get the results you were aiming for!

It appears that not enough skin was removed from your abdominal wall...a fact that will sadly become more obvious as the swelling subsides.  Be patient, continue wearing your compression garment and don't despair.  If you eventually need a revision its not nearly as big a deal as the original surgery, good luck...

Tummy Tuck Fullnes

+1

I do appreciate the fullness of the abdomen that concerns you but it is difficult from a picture to determine the reason for the fullness.  The potential cause could be a seroma, edema (swelling), or inadequate remove of loose abdominal tissue.  Physical examination would help determine the cause and appropriate treatment needed.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your pictures, normal swelling is the most likely cause. Keep in touch with your plastic surgeon and give it a few more weeks.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

I agree with your plastic surgeon that it is still too early to tell.  Some patients can have swelling that takes months to fully resolve.  Typically at this point my patients wear a compression garment and maybe even an abdominal binder as well which helps facilitate resolution of swelling.  I cannot say for sure but sometimes there can still be a pocket of fluid (seroma) that needs to be evaluated and if so - it is a simple thing that can be aspirated in the office.  I would check with your plastic surgeon and make sure you don't have a seroma.  I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question and for providing the photos. At 3 weeks post op. it is still too early to judge the final result. There is likely still a degree of swelling, and the skin will continue to heal. I would give it a fair amount of time before evaluating the final result. It is also difficult to compare yourself to post op photos of others, since everyone heals at different rates.

For now, continue to follow your surgeon's recommendations and the final results will eventually become evident.

Hang in there.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from TT or Will I Need Revision?

+1

I concur with your surgeon. It is too early to seriously suspect anything other than swelling. The post op photos all seem to be sitting, and in all patients the skin will buckle in that position. Standard views are in standing positions. If a patient had tight skin while sitting, she would not be able to stand erect. 

Patience. 

Tummy Tuck Swelling

+1

I agree it may be too early to tell, especially since you also had liposuction.

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon