Questions About Abdominal Etching? (photo)

1. Would my natural abs show after the abdominal liposuction before the abdominal etching is performed? 2. As i understand it, the abdominal etching is made from an outline of fat and not my muscle, is it possible that that fat will burn or will it always cover my natural abs? 3. If my natural abs develop, what happens to the etched abs? Do they appear more pronounced? 4. Will the etched abs appear lean looking?

Abdominal Etching

+1
Fat is removed from the grooves that run between the abdominal muscles, so further weight loss will only accentuate the results. In some cases, other areas will be treated, such as the love handles, flanks and stomach itself. The incisions required are very small and are hidden to reduce the visibility of any scarring.

Abdominal etching is best suited to patients who are already physically fit. They should have fairly small amounts of fat obscuring the definition of the stomach muscles.For men, those with a total body fat percentage in excess of 18% are usually not candidates and for women, it should not exceed 25%. As a result, it is best suited for patients who are fitness models, bodybuilders and athletes.

Questions About Abdominal Etching?

+1

I perform liposuction and etching, and I would recommend liposuction over etching for you.  You will not be able to get a realistic result with etching, and I think it will appear unnatural with your current anatomy.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction etching can be problematic.

+1

Liposuction and it preferential removal in specific areas is fraught with potential aesthetic hazard. Be careful and consider a more customary approach.

Reality of Abdominal Etching

+1

Abdominal liposuction for you will not naturally produce inscription lines. You are not a good candidate for abdominal etching based on the way you look now. The best candidates for abdominal etching are those have are naturally lean to start and do not have a thick abdominal fat layer. Etching is created by the selective removal of fat so that the underside of the skin sticks down very close to the abdominal fascia along the intended vertical and horizontal lines.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what would be best for you, but if you have loose skin, then liposuction may not be the best.  Etching can be done in thinner patients with lower percentage body fat.

Abdominal Etching, Is it a good procedure?

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question. 

You understand correctly....abdominal etching, etches abs from fat! In my opinion, this is very unnatural looking.

Patients who are interested in abdominal liposuction, in my opinion, should go to a surgeon who does a very thorough job and suctions them completely. If you have the underlying muscular structure to your rectus muscles, your "6 pack" will be revealed after thorough liposuctioning. If a patient does not have thoroughly developed abdominal musculature, no amount of suctioning will reveal a "6 pack". But again, in my opinion, an "etched" 6-pack is not very natural looking.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD