Conjuctival Mullerectomy: When Should I Start Noticing Results?

I had a Mullerectomy and my left upper lid yesterday morning and they used the posterior conjunctival approach. So far, it doesn't really look like there has been much improvement, but I will admit that I am a rather nervous/impatient person. Is it normal not to notice results right away? How long should it be before I notice them. My post-op is scheduled for a week after surgery.

Should I notice results one day after surgery?

+1

I commend you on recognizing your anxieties.  You are not alone, and many patients have siimilar worries before and after surgery.  You are putting your trust in another person, and losing control of the situation.  Reassurance from your family and your doctor will help, but does not entirely relieve the urge to worry.

Now that you have admitted your anxiety to yourself, you will have to decide how much of a burden it is placing on your life and ability to go forward with your daily activities.  The hard part is admitting you have this problem.  The easy part is to call your family doctor and ask for a referral to a mental health specialist.  There are many successful behavioral therapies, and medications to help you, and hopefully you will do well.  I type this response not only for you, but to all the people like you who also suffer with overwhelming worry.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have to wait!

+1

You have to wait 10-14 days for the swelling to resolve before you can start seeing results.  It is too early to judge results at this time.  Good luck!

Mikel Lo, MD
Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon

Results of ptosis surgery take a couple weeks

+1

It usually takes a couple weeks to have decent idea of where the lid height will end up after conjunctival muellerectomy.  In fact,  I encourage my patients to try hard to avoid making any assessments of the lid height for the first 10 days.  Overall,  conjunctival muellerectomy does tend to be a great option.

Mark Lucarelli, MD FACS

Madison, WI

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery recovery

+1

It takes weeks to months before the eyelid height settles after ptosis surgery. So you need to be patient.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Agree- too early to judge!

+1

Please wait a  couple of weeks. Swelling pushes the eyelid down in the early period.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

The next day is not the time to evaluate the results of this surgery.

+1

In my experience, it takes a couple of weeks before one sees the opening of the eyelid.  Swelling weighs the eyelid down in the first week hiding the effects of surgery.  The Muellerectomy is a very reliable surgery but it does take time.  Try to be patient.

Mullerectomy results

+1
I'd give it at least a few weeks to see results, longer for the final result. As there is a lot of swelling that acts as a weight on the lid, you may not see a the true result until that resolves. However, these tend to be very predictable procedures and most patients have very nice results. Talk further with your surgeon if there are any other concerns. Good luck! Jasmine Mohadjer MD Oculoplastic Surgeon Tampa Bay, FL

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

Results of surgery

+1

Results of most surgery cannot  be judged at 1 day post-op.  There is swelling, trauma to the tissue, tissue has been cut, sewed etc.  Give it time and be patient.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon