Congenital Ptosis Surgery-Fascia Lata (Left Eye) 4 Wks Ago.When Should I Heal?

I'm male 27.BMI normal.Myopic, use glass with -6D.I had a congenital ptosis in left eye described as-LPS FN 2mm,Bells-Good,MJW->-ve.I had an operation with fascia lata nearly 3.5 weeks ago.Since then,I don't see significant improvement in the swelling.After surgery I haven't been touching water in eyes.I'm also facing difficulty in sleeping with Gentealgel and T-MycinOintment in eyes at night(eye not closing).When should my eye heal and I can assess the outcome of operation?Advise plz

Healing after ptosis surgery with a sling

+2

Looking at your photos, things are looking really quite good at this point. Having done hundreds of these procedures, I can tell you that healing takes some time. I'm assuming that you had very little function of the levator muscle, the main muscle that lifts your lid. The procedure can be performed with synthetic material, like silastic, or a suture, in which case healing is often somewhat faster that when it is performed with your own fascia. The upside, however, is that using your own fascia is considered permenant - ie: it wont snap and cause the lid to fall again. Swelling is usually at it's worst in the first week, and then gets better over the next few, so you will likely notice some change soon. Warm compresses may accelerate this resolution. The most important thing at this point is to keep your cornea moist. A lot of ointment into your eye at night, and artificial tears throughout the day; you may also have to 'force' your eye shut to blink completely.

If your eye is red, painful, light sensitive, or most importantly, if your vision is not as good as it usually is, I would definitely recommend close follow-up with your ophthalmologist to make sure that your cornea remains healthy.

South Burlington Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fascia lata sling healing

+2

my concern in reviewing the series of photo and listening to your story is that your eye is dry and cornea exposed. you may have a good bell's phenomena, but with your swelling the tissues are not functioning properly and you need to take care of the cornea, especially at night. use a plastic wrap over the eye after lubricating it creating a moisture tent. see your doctor often

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Healing After a Sling Repair Takes A Year

+2

The fascia sling ptosis repair takes about a year to asses if the new eyelid height is optimal, or needs a touch-up.

Your photos seem to show the expected swelling for this time post-op.

Stay closely in touch with your surgeon to be sure all is going well, especially adequate closure of your eyelids to protect your eye from drying out (corneal ulceration).

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

It takes about a year to heal from this surgery.

+2

Dear Kanababa

You actually look great.  However the big issue here is how will your cornea do?  With the frontalis suspension, suspension material, in your case facia lata harvested from the leg is used to couple the movement of the upper eyelid to movement of the forehead.  I assume that you had very poor left upper eyelid levator function.  Generally, for adults, silicone sling is used instead of fascia lata.  While fascia lata is a fantastic material, I think it is best in young children who are able to adapt to the chronic corneal exposure.  Adults such as yourself have a much tougher time of adapting to the fact that this surgery keeps the eye from full closing.  Because of how common it is for adults to have difficulty in adapting to this situation, silicone slings are often preferred over facia lata.  Silicone rods are much easier to adjust as needed.  If your surgeon is also an ophthalmologist, they will be able to examine your cornea as assess how your eye surface is coping with the exposure.  This is serious because complications can lead to corneal ulceration and blindness.  If your surgeon is not also an ophthalmologist, I suggest that you get assessed immediately by a general ophthalmologist or a cornea specialist.  Your lid height may need to be compromised and lowered so the eye closes normally when you sleep.  The use of ointment at night is helpful once it is clear there is no corneal ulceration.  

Eyelid Surgery

+1

This type of surgery will have prolonged healing and you can expect some time for the adjustment to resolve. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon as they  are the ones who know what was done internally.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon