What Are Other Options For Congenital Ptosis? I'm 18. (photo)

Im an 18 year old female born with congenital ptosis in my left eye. 4 attempts have been made at correcting it. 3 Under Eyelid Ptosis Repair, Levalor Tuck Posterion. A different surgeon performed a procedure done from the outside. Its been two years and any improvement has drooped down again leaving my lid deformed. My creases are uneven, the eye is hooded, my prescription tripled, I cannot see out of a contact lens, cant close I feel something has gone wrong. Can anything be done to help me?

Congenital ptosis and absence of a levator palbeprae superioris muscle are not the same.

+1

Bawts

Congential ptosis is complex and should only be addressed by properly trained pediatric or oculoplastic surgeons.  Care by a general ophthalmologist or general plastic surgeon is seldom adequate for these complex situations.  You should seek care at a universtiy setting.

Correction of congenital eyelid ptosis

+1
See a board certified oculoplastic surgeon, perhaps one with an academic affiliation. Bring all your operative reports and treatment history with you so the surgeon can make the more meaningful assessment possible!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

You may need to have frontalis sling surgery

+1

The revision surgery is always more complicated than the first surgery. If the levator function is limited or non existent,frontalis sling with the temporalis fascia would be the next option.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of congenital ptosis or absence of the levitator muscle

+1

You pose  a very difficult problem since we do not know who performed your surgery and where.  The problem is "Do you have and intact levitator muscle to your upper eyelid or is it missing.  Physical exam is mandatory  in answering this question.  Also. you have marked facial asymmetry with your left side smaller, posteriorly located and lower.    Your "now" looks good.   You should consult a medical center close to home.  I looked on a map and see you are close to the Cleveland Clinic and I would suggest that you be evaluated by them.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)