Congenital Ptosis Eye Operation Fail Rate? (photo)

Hi all My name is Natrah. I'm Malaysian and 32 years old. I have congenital ptosis eye for both eye. I'm planning to undergo an operation since i have headache between my eyebrows about 3 months now. The problem is after reading so many failure on Congenital Ptosis Eye Operation i'm afraid the same would happen to me.Any advice?

Congenital ptosis upper lid surgery

+1

You must ask your surgeon to evaluate whether the Levator muscle is functional but attenuated, or if it is truly absent.  The techniques for correction are different.  In the former situation, a Levator advancement may be effective, but in the latter, this technique would lead to failure.  With non-functioning levator muscle, reconstruction would have to rely on making a suspension to the frontalis muscle.  I suspect this is your situation because of the high position of your brows, and the apparent fatigue you are experiencing.  If the suspension is properly balanced, your brow position will be expected to come down naturally.  Hope this helps, best wishes.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis failure rates

+1

Hello Natrah,

Congenital ptosis can be very tough, and yes, it does have a higher rate of failure compared to other types of ptosis.  You want an experience ptosis surgeon, or Oculoplastic surgeon. It really depends on how much, if any, function of the levator muscle you have.  If your surgeon has a lot of experience in this than move forward and remember.  Are you worried about a true "failure"?  There is a difference between failure, some improvement, and perfect.  

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best if this surgery is performed by a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.

+1

Congential ptosis does have a high failure or reoccurrence rate because the muscle that normally lifts the eyelid may not be fully developed.  This has a profound effect on the likelihood of surgical success.

Failure rate for congenital ptosis operation

+1

If possible, you should make sure that the doctor you use is well versed in eyelid anatomy and has done this procedure before.  I do not know even if the lid surgery is successful, whether it will relieve the headache that you have between the eyebrows which could be due to other causes.  However, it looks like you use a chinup head position in order to see and successful eyelid surgery might relieve this problem and hopefully prevent spinal pain in the future.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon