Confused on What Size Implants to Get - 5'1, 100 Lbs

I have mild ptosis, about 1cm below the crease. What size/type implant is best without having to get a lift? My measurements are: sternal notch to nipple- 21cm; ribcage- 28in.; ribspan- 25.5cm; bwd- 12cm. I would like to be a D cup. I'm thinking Mentor smooth round hp with 400-425cc under the muscle. What are your opinions?

Breast Lift vs breast Implants

+1
By using biodimensional planning principals, a plastic surgeon can determine the ideal size, shape and placement of an implant. An in person consultation , or at least many photos would be needed to determine whether or not a lift is needed.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to choose breast implant size

+1

Thank you for your question. The plastic surgeon who you choose will do biometric measurements of your body and breast to help him or her recommend an appropriate breast implant size for your body.In addition since you have chosen Mentor implants, see if you can find a surgeon who has the Mentor Breast Implant Sizing system which will enable the surgeon to place different sized implants into your bra to give you an idea of how you will look. You may also get some idea of the size you want by utilizing the Rice test in the privacy of your own home, which is described in the link below.

The amount of ptosis that you have will also impact the decision. If you're only have glandular ptosis that is if only breast gland is below the crease then breast augmentation may be possible. However if your nipple is below the inframammary crease by 1 cm it is likely that you will need a lift as well as breast augmentation.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in breast cosmetic surgery, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Picking your implant size

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast implant size

+1

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Minor amount of sag and desire for breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

With your height and weight, I might prefer silicone in which case 425 is generally larger than I would recommend for your size but could achieve your results. In regards to ptosis, you could consider a crescent lift or vertical mastopexy either immediately or delayed

Breast Implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes

+1

Breast Implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The dimensions presented above suggest that a larger implant may be best in order to reach your intended size.The degree of ptosis you suggest may not warrant a mastopexy incision, however generally speaking larger implants are required to help center the nipple arealo complex. This may be all that is necessary in your case.

An important consideration is the quality of your skin and how it may be affected by a larger implant. This unfortunately requires more than measurements to assess properly. The longterm effect on the skin of the breast is also an important consideration. These issues must be reviewed with your surgeon prior to making a decision that will allow you to meet your expectations.

Nick Masri, MD

+1

You did not post any photos! So my guess is you can have the 400 cc range. But best to see you in person or with a photo. I do not agree with the lift incision without a photo posted. Best from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 305 598 0091

Choosing Implant Size

+1

Drs . DeLorenzi, Beraka and  Whitt have given you very sound advice.  I would recommend that you follow those suggestions!!

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Implant Size Confusion- What to do?

+1

Implant size is not decided by you, but rather by your tissue parameters.  That is, unless you don't care if your breasts are permanently ruined by a wrong choice.  Opti-sizing your breast implants is a process that you go through with your surgeon.  Every decision has benefits, but also trade-offs.  Make absolutely certain that you understand the consequences of each decision that you make along the path.  Go to a board certified surgeon who has a special interest in breast augmentation and who can help you through this process.   Experienced surgeons are pretty good at predicting at how you will turn out if you accept their advice.  Patients who stubbornly insist on huge implants will eventually get them.  I see them all time when they are looking for someone who can fix the problems that could have been avoided had they heeded advice. 

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Breast ptosis and implants

+1

If you have breast ptosis, in most cases breast implants will not correct it, and you will need a lift of some sort.