Confused About Implant Size?

I'd like to get some opinions on what implant size i should opt for. After having 2 children i am now a small B cup. Im booked in for augmentation & my surgeon has said i need high profile implants. Im small framed, 5'5 and 110 pounds. I really dont want to end up with large, fake looking breasts. i know its hard to 'guess' results, but if i had a 280cc round, silicone implant, do you have any idea what size i could expect to be? I'd like to achieve a D cup, thanks in advance.

Confused About Implant Size

+2

Ok, here we go. I think this will help you. First, it is impossible for me to know what implant is right for you because there are so many variables to this procedure. Being that said here is how you should be sized. Every breast is different. Your breast has a defined width to it. You should only have an implant that fits your breast width. Think of this like buying shoes. Your foot has a specific size right? Lets say you are a size 6. So when you go to buy shoes you try on for the most part a size 6. You wouldn't try on a size 10 because it would be way to big for your foot right? So if your breast width is 10 centimeters why would you ever have an implant placed that is 12 centimeters wide right? So the first issue with sizing a breast is to pick the implant that is the correct width. The next decision you have now is what style of implant is best for you. So you may go try on a bunch of shoes that are size 6, but sometimes you will try on a killer pair of high heel Louboutins, or maybe a pair of Tory Burch low flats. Implants are the same. They come in high, flat or moderate heights. What you need to do is to try on only the implants that fit the width of your breast, but try the various profiles and decide which look you want. That's it. That is how you pick the right implant for you. Now, if you need a lift or any other procedure I can not comment but the way to pick the implant for that procedure is still the same. Only get the implant that fits your breast. 

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Its hard to guess as you know but I think your implant choice is in the range of breast size that you desire which overall should get you where you want to be

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Confused about implant size

+1

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are conservative but the final result is really created in the operating room. Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Implant anxiety

+1

Your plastic surgeon will do his best to get you the result that you desire.  Picking implant sizes can be a daunting challenge for the patient but an experienced plastic surgeon should be your most valuable tool.  For every choice there is a pro and con. This is an operation that you want to do once, do right and not have to do it over again.  All of the implants that you have selected are in the objective range for your body shape.  It becomes a matter of preference at this point as to the size.  50 cc difference will not make an incredible difference one way or the other.

High Profile in For D cup breast

+1

Dear Biddy - unfortunately, if you want large breasts in a small frame, which is essentially what you are asking for, high profile implants are usually necessary to prevent the implants from being too wide.  Putting them under the muscle will help them look natural.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Implant sze

+1

Just an educated guess,but 300cc should get you to a full C. If you want to be a D cup I would guess 400cc+.

talk to your surgeon.

Good luck.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Cup and Implant Size

+1

Unfortunately, you did not provide your bra size, only your cup size, B.  If you wear a 32 or 34 then each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you wear a 36 or 38 then each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you want to go from a B to a D then you can calculate the implant size required.  The best implants are silicone gel placed retro-pectoral.  They have the most natural feel and appearance.  When placed in the retro-pectoral position the profile of implant really does not matter.  You had 2 pregnancies and correction often requires a breast lift.  A breast lift can be done through a circumareola approach leaving only a scar around the areola, avoiding the unattractive ugly vertical scars (lollipop or boat anchor).  I recommend you consider a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Confused About Implant Size

+1

Without the benefit of a photo or at least some measurements  I wouldn't want to guess as to whether or not that size is appropriate. Trying the implant on at a pre-op visit is a good way to see what your size  may be--note that the implants looks a bit (5-10%) larger sitting over the breast compared with the same size implant inserted surgically.

Although there are no uniformly accepted definitions of cup size, most surgeons feel that about 200 cc or so will give a one cup size increase. This varies with many factors, especially band size (a C on a 36 is bigger than a C on a 34, which in turn is bigger than a C on a 32.) On that basis, I would expect a large C outcome, but my definition of a C will not concur with others' definitions.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Implant confusion before augmentation

+1

Without more information and an examination we cannot tell what implant will give a particular result, and most often we like to focus on the 'look' that is right for you, and choose the implant during the procedure that is the best. If you choose the 280cc and the surgeon just puts it in, will you accept responsibility for the result?

Confused About Implant Size?

+1

The two most common concerns in women contemplating breast augmentation are going too large, and having others notice and comment on the new size.

After surgery most patients would happily have chosen larger implants if they could do things over. Furthermore they find that if others do notice the change, the comments are nearly always favorable.

If there were a perfect way to choose size we would all do it that way.

Every surgeon develops a routine to help patients choose a size they'll be happy with postoperatively.

Find an experienced breast augmentation surgeon and place your trust in that person to guide you through the process.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon