Conflicted About Breast Reduction Size 36DDD/38DD. 5'6", 138.5 Lbs?

Have unmanageable, chronic pain due to spine related issues. Breast reduction was suggested, insurance requires they take 500 g per breast. I absolutely do not want to be flat. Have been told large B to small C. I'm scared and want others opinions.

DD to C, 500 g, Breast Reduction?

+1

DD to C may get you the 500 g you need.  Whenever, I have a patient who is close in this respect, I talk with them about getting the best aesthetic result. I think that this is more important than meeting the insurance requirement.

Breast reduction issues

+1

Gertrude Stein said, " A difference, to be a difference, must make a difference"  Unfortunately insurance companies require a certain volume, when, frequently it is also the shape that can initiate or worsen back problems.  If you are afraid of being too small , pay for it yourself and tell the insurance company to kiss off.  Also, be aware, any reduction is not guaranteed to solve your back problems.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Concerns about breast reduction

+1

It is natural to feel concerned and even scared before surgery. However, without pictures and an in person exam, it is impossible to give you an accurate answer to your question. You should seek several consultations with plastic surgeons in your area who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who will be able to give you valid opinions. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say how much could be taken off of your breasts reasonably to leave an adequate breast.

Breast Size After Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction/lifting surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso.
With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “A or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Your surgeon will be the best person to discuss your concerns with you.  Best Wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Final Breast Size??

+1

Your concerns are real and should be addressed. Anticipate a decrease of one cup size for approximately every 200 grams of breast tissue removed. Therefore, if you are having at least 500 grams removed from each breast with your breast reduction then, you could drop about 2 1/2 cup sizes. May I suggest you address your concerns with your breast surgeon. They have examined you and most likely will be able to give you a better determination of what your final breast size would probably be after a Breast Reduction. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon