Confidentiality Between Plastic Surgeon and Patients?

Is there such a thing as a confidentiality clause between doctor and patient? What about the doctors´staff?

I thank you very much for your answers.

Patient Doctor Confidentiality

+3

I am not quite sure what caused you to ask this question but it is obvious you are bothered by it.

The confidentiality between patient and doctor precedes that of Christianity. To quote from the 4th Century BC HIPPOCRATIC OATH that doctors have been taking for centuries: "...All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal...."

In addition to the noble sentiments found in the Oath all of us took, there are ample laws to back it up. I do not know much about Austrian law but English and French law are very strict in these matters.

Dr. P. Aldea

Patient confidentiality

+2

Patient confidentiality is protected in the United States. Only people with a "need to know" can be given a patient's medical information. Of course what happens once a patient leaves a medical office can not always be controlled, especially here in Beverly Hills.

Patient confidentiality

+2

I do not know about Vienna but in the United States and in California in particular there are state and federal laws that govern doctor patient confidentiality and patient privacy. All the police shows on television show how the psychiatrist cannot release information about his/her patient. In California there is a state law that doctor's cannot post pictures of patients, such as before and after photos, in any advertisement or web page capacity without signed patient consent. Lastly, to my knowledge, malpractice insurance does not cover breaches of patient confidentiality. So if a plastic surgeon does this here and is sued he/she is on their own.

Letting it slip that someone has had surgery in a social setting when the recipient has kept it a secret can be a major faux pas. I have had patients who initially did not want their photo used but after recovery from surgery decided they did want it posted so friends could look at it. A few other patients initially decided use of the photos were okay but some time later changed their minds. I have no problem complying with their wishes. A couple once met me in a social setting. When asked by a friend which one was my patient I deferred in respect of patient confidentiality. My answer was, "Which one do you think is my patient?"

Privacy and Plastic Surgery - It's not just for celebrities

+1
There are privacy policies in place in all plastic surgery offices. Before those policies were implemented, most plastic surgeons had their own internal privacy policies.

Some patients are concerned about privacy when coming in and out of the plastic surgeon's office.   Most people, whether famous or not want their plastic surgery expeience rto be private. Even people who want to tell all their friends about their exprince don’t want to be stuck in a public elevator as they are coming out of surgery. At Dr. Law’s plastic surgery center. Privacy was not an after-thought. He purchased his building knowing his high profile patients from Beverly Hills and other parts of the country would want a single story private office with multiple private entrances and a private parking lot.   We are accustomed to dealing with high profile clients and patients, even having secure files and aliases for patinets who request this.  

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/howto.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Confidentiality between patients and their plastic surgeons

+1

Hi there-

Be assured any reputable plastic surgeon would take the privacy of their patients extremely seriously.

I, and everyone on my staff, understand this and abide by this in strict fashion.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.