What Condition Increases the Risk of Nose Saddling After Rhinoplasty?

How frequently does saddling occur after rhinoplasty and what are the causes?

Saddle nose deformity prevention

+1

If you remove too much cartilage from the septum/bridge it will happen all the time. In my preoperative planning I write down the front to back width of the cartilage that I plant to remove. I then look at this in the operating room and measure the amount to be removed at surgery. That stops me from taking out too much.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Risk of accidental saddle nose deformity after rhinoplasty

+1

Saddling is very infrequent after rhinoplasty. It can occur with over-reduction of the bridge or septum, but more typically results from trauma or autoimmune diseases that affect nasal cartilage.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Risk of Nasal Saddling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal saddling is most frequently secondary to removal of too much cartilage along the nasal profile. This is very rare when the surgery is done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nose saddling

+1

A saddle deformity can happen with mid vault collapse. It can happen with nasal fracture as well as some rhinoplasty work.