Does A Conchal Bowl Swelling Heal After Otoplasty?

I recently had a bilateral otoplasty procedure performed seven days ago by a local plastic surgeon, and got stitches taken out today. My concern though is a swelling that formed after surgery in my conchal bowl rim that hasn't seem to go down any after surgery. Is this caused due to my doctor having not removed cartilage at the bottom of the bowl during surgery and will it heal back to normal?

Swelling after Otoplasty

+1

It is common to have swelling after otoplasty for 10 days or longer. Most importantly, you want to rule out an infection/inflammation of the cartilage (chondritis) or a fluid collection so you dont have a long term complication. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so you can be reassured.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible Complication of Ear Pinning Surgery (Otoplasty)

+1

RE - "a swelling that formed after surgery in my conchal bowl rim that hasn't seem to go down any after surgery" - An ear pinning procedure encompasses several techniques aimed at the features that make the ear different than the norm. In many cases not only is the ear swung forward away from the plane of the skull but the inner cup of the ear, the conchal bowl is exaggerated. In such cases the rim of the conchal bowl may be removed to render it more shallow and the ear is then swung back closer to the skull. There is always some swelling of the skin of the ear but you and your surgeon need to watch out for a blood collection (hematoma) or infection of the cartilage which needs to be treated aggressively. A mild skin redundancy will correct itself and not be seen in a few months. I would get your surgeon to look at your ear to make sure it is not something more serious.

Swelling of ears following otoplasty (ear pinning for prominent ears)

+1

Swelling is quite common in the ear for 7-10 days following surgery. However, swelling in a localized area of the area may be indicative of chondritis which is a rare but very serious condition that is difficult to treat but does require immediate attention. Even with removal of cartilage, a hematoma may form and cause swelling. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.