Concerns About Septoplasty- Can It Cause More Problems? (photo)

When I was 16 I had my nose broken. I was previously very happy with the appearance of my nose but afterwards there seemed to be a slight bend. I have since had a lot of problems with breathing / sinus infections and my ENT doctor has referred me for a septoplasty as a have a deviated septum. I am a little concerned because I have always wanted the bend in my nose corrected but don't have the money for a septo/rhinoplasty at the moment. Would to lot of surgery be recommended or cause problems?

Combination of Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1

While a thorough consultation including physical examination is necessary, you will probably need a combination of rhinoplasty and septoplasty to fulfill your objectives. The surgeries can be combined or done in stages.

Concerns About Septoplasty- Can It Cause More Problems?

+1

From the history you provided and the photo, the nose is bent to the right and is a bit long.  The septum is most likely obstructing the left nostril which would require a left Septoplasty.  The bend, in the nose, may be corrected by trimming the anterior septal angle cartilage deviation.  The nasal tiip could be rotated up at the same time by trimming the superior aspect of the anterior septal angle cartilage as well.  This would not require a full Rhinoplasty in the hands of an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon IMHO.  Hope this helps.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty

+1

I am afraid that you fall into that zone where you will not get a complete or satisfactory functional result without doing cosmetic work as well. Leaving the external septum crooked while trying to fix it internally will likely destabilize your nose and cause more problems.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, septoplasty

+1

If you are concerned about the outward appearence of your nose in addition to having some breathing difficulty breathing due to a septal deviation or in cases inferior turbinate enlargement and some valvular narrowness, then you will need a comprehensive surgery such as a septorhinoplasty.

I would not recommend that you do a septoplasty first and then do a rhinoplasty after when you have the money. Sometimes it may be necessary to harvest cartilage from the septum to use for a rhinoplasty. This cartilage is often taken from the septum during a septoplasty.  This way you can have the septum corrected and utilize the cartilage that is removed for the rhinoplasty. In cases where there is not any septal cartilage left from previous surgery then the surgeon may need ear cartilage.

So, in short, in your case, based on what information you provided, I would recommend that you save money and find a good surgeon who can do both the septoplasty, turbinate surgery to improve function and also do the rhinoplasty to improve the appearence.

Good Luck

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon