Concerns on Safety and Final Results For Surgery With Multiple Procedures. (photo)

I am getting a BL/ with 550cc implants, a full tummy tuck and power assisted lipo on my back, arms, inside thighs and under my chin. I will be in surgery for 7 1/2 hours; I'm 5'9" and 190lbs, I'm 46yrs old and in good health. I had surgery before and was under for 2 1/2 hours with no problems and min blood loss (about a half a cup the doctor said) Is this amount of surgery safe? My Dr. came highly recommended from someone that was his patient for a BL/BA. He is board certified for plastic surgery

Multiple procedures + Long Operative Times May= TROUBLE

+2

The operative time  is long and if there is some difficulty the operative time may be longer.  The potential for unwanted admission to the hospital, nausea/vomiting increases with increasing operative time.  The combination of procedures such as abdominoplasty and large volume liposuction will also increase the potential complication rate.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommends keeping operative times to 6 hours or less.  Every surgeon is different in regards to his/her speed in completing procedures in a competent manner.  

Dr. ES

Long operative time for multi-procedures

+2

Every time you add another procedure, you increase the risk of complications.  Safety should be your first concern.  71/2 hours of anesthesia ( I assume general), as well as the trauma from procedures on many parts of your body, is daunting and will require an extended recovery, even if everything goes well.  I would suggest dividing these procedures into 2 sittings, not one.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Longer Operating Times Do Increase Risks

+2

You are correct in assuming that a longer operating time increases the risks of surgery.  As is the case with any operative procedure(s), you must always weigh the benefits and risks when making your decision.

Safety of Multiple Procedures?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You are wise to be concerned about the length of surgery and safety concerns. In my practice, I would not do the operations you are thinking about in one session.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Safety should be first

+1

The number of procedures you are having at one sitting is not a small deal. I would stage the procedures. In my hands, and others may feel differently, I would feel uncomfortable about the safety aspect and the potential increase in complications due to the anesthesia time and the combination of procedures you are having. Think it over, talk to your surgeon and make a decision knowing the risks and benefits.