Which Fillers are Good Alternatives to Restylane?

as I have negative reactions to vacines like the flu jab I have concerns about using restylane and similar products produced from gram negative bacteria. would radiesse be better for me for wrinkles and what could I use for the lips as radiesse should not be used for lips.

Alternatives to Restylane in the lips?

+2

There are alternative fillers or material, but in my experience, none of them are as good as the hyaluronic acid-derived products such as restylane. Autologous fat injections can be tried but its longevity in this area is inconsistent. You are correct in that Radiesse SHOULD NOT be injected into the lips, but it is a great, long-lasting filler for the smile lines.

What kind of "negative reactions" are you having? If it's not severe (i.e. breathing problems), then one possible avenue is to do a test injection of a small amount of product in an inconspicuous spot (not the face). If you have a true allergic reaction or sensitivity, you should be able to tell from this test spot.

I hope this helps. In any case, seek out a consultation from a board-certified physician in your area (such as those you see on realself) for a consultation.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to Restylane...

+1

I love Juvederm Ultra Plus XC for the lips.  It's a little thicker than Restylane and it lasts longer!  I think you will be very happy with it.  Radiesse or Juvederm Ultra Plus XC are great choices for facial wrinkles and folds...

Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Flu vaccine reaction and restylane

+1
I don't think you can compare the flu vaccine, which contains live virus, to Restylane. Restylane is a great product for the lips. Perhaps if you clarify the problem you had with vaccination, he could contact the manufacturer and inquire whether any such links have been reported.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hyaluronic acid is best for the lips

+1

Is there a possibility that the problem you have with the flu vaccine is an allergy to the preservative thimerisol?  I've never had a patient experience any systemic symptoms from any hyaluronic acid product like Restylane or Juvederm.  These are best for the lips because they are natural and don't clump with movement.  Do not put Radiesse in your lips, even if someone is willing to do it!   What to use for wrinkle filling depends on how deep the wrinkles are and whether or not it's acutually more volume that you need vs just filling a wrinkle.  Please see only board certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons for your treatments in order to ensure the best possible reesults!

Laura Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Alternative to Restylane Lip Augmentation.

+1

Radiesse is a very good filler for mid facial volumization. It is not a good alternative for lip augmentation. I would look at Juvederm or Hydrelle for your lips. A collagen fillers such as Evolence is another option.

Consider exploring your "negative reaction" to the flu vaccine to find out if you are dealing with a true allergy before ruling out Restylane all together. Restylane has been used for many years for lip augmentation. It recently received formal FDA approval for this indication.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Best fillers for lips

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for correcting an aging lip and are fine to use in someone who is allergic to flu vaccines. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Radiesse is a "volume filler" and is injected deeper, beneath the skin to generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon