Wanting to Address Acne Scars, Pigment & Large Pores, Is Fraxel Repair Right for Me? (Photos)

Im considering Fraxel Repair for my acne scars, pigment & large pores. Im worried about: 1. Acne flair up from the aftercare cream. Is there an oil free or less oily cream to use after rather than Vaseline? 2. Permanent adverse effects like rough texture (orange peel) or scarring from the laser. How common is this? 3. All of these negative reviews! Doctors rave about Fraxel, but its being condemned by people all over the internet. Why is that? 4. Based on my pics, am I a good candidate?

CO2 Laser for acne scars

+2

It is hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like you have mostly boxcar scars.  Typically I will resuface these scars with fractional CO2 laser using the SmartXide DOT laser.  One needs to use relatively aggressive settings to get good improvement in acne scars and more than one treatment is usually required for best resutls.  Downtime is typically one week or less.  For ice pick scars, I prefer CROSS treatments using 100% TCA.  For rolling scars, I often do subcision or possibly fillers if the scars are not too tethered down.  A final option for boxcar and rolling scars is dermaroller or microneedling treatments.  I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment for a couple of days after CO2 laser.  It is tried and true and gives the most rapid healing.  Oral antibiotics can be prescribed for a brief period to help control an acne flare.

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Dual for Acne Scars, Pigment and Large Pores

+1

Fraxel Re:Pair is actually best for tightening the skin. It creates numerous microscopic, vertical columns in the skin. And within these columns, the C02 laser basically vaporizes the skin. So overall, the surface area shrinks and the skin becomes tighter.

Fraxel Dual is quite ideal for the specific areas that you mentioned. It uses 2 long wavelengths, the 1550 and the 1947nm. The 1550nm is able to induce the formation of normal, new collagen fibers which override the collagen of the acne scars. Also this wavelength is used to break up unwanted pigment which is then eliminated by the body. Fraxel Dual can also help reduce the size of large skin pores.

Below is a video about a patient who received Fraxel Dual for her acne scars

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

In my hands subcison combined with Fraxel Repair Laser works well for your type of scars.

+1

In my hands subcison combined with Fraxel Repair Laser works well for your type of scars.  I use Boske Dermal Repair Balm and Boske Dermal Repair Cream and the Omnilux New U light for post operative healing care.  If patients have an acne flare up while healing (which is very rare),   I will ask them to wash twice a day with a benzoyl peroxide wash while they are still healing.  This combination works great and we are consistently getting 75% + improvment in a single combined treatment for your type of scars.    I rarely get this kind of results using the Fraxel Repair Laser alone.   Touch up treatment with Perlane may further enhance the results. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon