What Are the Signs to Be Concerned About After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction 2 weeks ago. My left breast appears to be much larger. I'm very, and I mean very, slowly starting to feel better, but still extremely sore. My left breast has a significant amount of bruising. However, when the surgeon removed the gauze sewn over my nipples, I ended up with large black scabs over my nipples, which I expected. Well, yesterday, both scabs fell off while in the shower, and my nipples are extremely sensitive. I've read very general signs to watch out for infection...but how do I know for sure whether to be concerned?

Breast Reduction Complication?

+1

Based on your description,  you may be experiencing a hematoma ( which would explain the breast asymmetry and increased bruising). The only way to know for sure is with direct examination. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon  for direct examination and treatment.

Breast reduction concerns

+1

If one breast is large and hasmore bruising, one always worries about a hematooma, and you shoudl talk to your surgeon tomake sure this is not occuring.

Hematoma after breast reduction needs to be drained.

+1

Hi.

Hard to be sure, but it sounds like you have a hematoma in your left breast after breast reduction.  If so, it needs to be drained promptly or you will not heal well.  See your plastic surgeon right away.

A sonogram detects a hematoma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Post op care after breast reduction

+1

If your breast is a lot more swollen and bruised than the other, you may have had some bleeding in the pocket. I would recommend you follow-up with your plastic surgeon so they can examine you and see if any additional treatment is needed. I hope this helps.

DR Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS