Should I Be Concerned if I Had Zeltiq at 1-2 Wks Pregnant?

I had Zeltiq done 2 wks ago on my abdomen and now I am about 3 days late on my period. I haven't taken a test yet, but could this procedure throw off my cycle? If I am pregnant, it was unexpected. Should I be concerned? My husband and I are very nervous that it could harm the pregnancy if I am.

CoolSculptng and Pregnancy

+2

I first suggest that you take a pregnancy test to see if there is any reason to be concerned.  If you are pregnant, follow-up with your OB-GYN.  Because CoolSculpting studies have never been done on pregnant women, the effects on pregnancy are unknown.   

CoolSculpting and Pregnancy

+1
Coolsculpting should not affect your cycle. Your OB-GYN should determine if you are pregnant, and then consult with your treating physician regarding the scope of the treatment if you are pregnant. Coolsculpting has not been tested on pregnant women so the full effects will not be known.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting and possible pregnancy

+1

If you have confirmed that you're pregnant please see an obstetrician and have them contact your doctor who did the CoolSculpting to have a good understanding of the treatment.  Although the device was not tested on pregnant women, we know that the local freezing treats the fat, not the underlying muscle, which itself is above the abdominal and peritoneal wall. Your ovaries are uterus are well protected and there shouldn't be a concern to a fetus but it's best to get examined.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Zeltiq and pregnancy

+1

The first thing to do is to take a test and/or go see an OBGYN to see if  you are pregnant.  No specific tests have been performed on Coolsculpting and pregnancy and so the effects are not known.

Most likely you will be fine.

Best Wishes!

Zeltiq not appropriate in pregnancy

+1
Zeltiq has not been reported to cause alterations in the menstrual cycle or to cause harm in pregnancy. No specific studies have been done to evaluate this however. If you think of the very localized area treated and that temperature reduction is affecting only the fat layer I think you will see that the body as a whole is not altered. Your internal organs are very well protected. Zeltiq is an extremely safe procedure! Of course make sure you check with your OB/GYN if your pregnancy test is positive (and congratulations!)

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon