Concerned About Tubular Breasts - Considering Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I am 19 years old, no children. I am really unhappy with the shape of my breasts. Smaller in size and asymmetrical, they seem to have a mild to moderate "constricted" appearance and lack fullness (particularly in the lower pole) that is usually seen in tuberous breasts. I am seriously considering getting a breast augmentation within the next few years and would like to know if it is possible for me to achieve a more rounded, symmetric look.

Breast Implants for Tubular Breasts

+2
Yes, it is possible for you to achieve a natural looking breast.  You should have an incision around your nipple areolar complex to set the complex back and the implant can be placed on top or under the muscle.  But the underlying breast tissue needs to be scored to allow the breast to expand.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation plus Mini Ultimate Breast Lift for tubular breasts

+2

You would benefit from a breast augmentation of the right side and a lift.  You may be an excellent candidate for a new procedure called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  This procedure can be done through a circumareola incision which will reduce the size of the areola, lift the areola, reshape the breast tissue and allow implant placement.  There would be no vertical scars and the projection increased by aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant in the same horizontal plane.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation for constricted breasts

+1

I think you would be a great candidate for breast surgery.  Based on your pictures, you seem to have a constricted breast.  You have a few options.  I would definitely recommend placement of an implant under the breast tissue (subglandular).  You may also need loosening (scoring) of the constricted side.  You could also consider a lift (mastopexy) but that would depend on your personal preference.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Tubular Breasts?

+1

Tuberous breasts demonstrate 3 main findings. 1. Constricted lower pole of the breast, 2. Herniation of breast tissue into the nipple areolar complex, and 3. High riding inframammary fold. You certainly demonstrate a few of these findings. The most common way to fix these issues is to perform a breast augmentation and Mastopexy Procedure. These operations are usually split into separate procedures for symmetry purposes. Depending on the severity of the lower breast constriction and tuberous deformity some patients should have tissue expansion first followed by augmentation and Mastopexy. You have larger areolas and lower poles that do seem to be somewhat constricted but not the most severe. You will need to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many breast procedures. You will need to select a surgeon who you feel comfortable with and whom you feel has good results. I do think choosing to proceed with correction will be very rewarding for you as long as you choose the correct surgeon. Good luck!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Subglandular placement of an implant will correct a constricted breast.

+1

The picture demonstrates modest constriction of the base of the breast (base is too narrow). A subglandular placement will allow the base to be broadened by the surgeon.  No life is necessary.

Considering breast augmentation

+1

The correct term is tuberous for a constricted breast with a very tight fold, a short distance nipple to fold, and a nipple which is herniated forward. Others may disagree, though I feel your breast is not really tuberous, and at age 19, submuscular augmentation with a saline implant will nicely round out your breast, push the fold lower, give a very small scar, and give you little to worry about. You may want a lift someday, however scars are forever.

Augmentation of Constricted Breasts- Consider a Mastopexy too.....

+1

There is a great deal of variation in what we call "normal" breast shapes. The term "tubular" or "constricted" describe breasts that are underdevelped in one or more quadrants. This can be present on one side or both, and can vary in severity. In the most severe cases, people may refer to them as "snoopy breasts" where the breast is underdevelped around the entire base and then herniated through the areolar opening.

Looking at your photos, you have a degree of constriction in the lower pole on both sides with the right being more severe. With careful release and dual plane augmentation, you can improve the breast shape, but frequently, a mastopexy (breast lift) may also benefit in improving the overall shape.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Concerned About Tubular Breasts - Considering Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes a small ultra high profile silicone(new one just released - I love them!) would be best for you very very mild ? tubular breasts

Tubular breasts

+1

Tubular breasts is a descriptive term and in appears that your smaller breast has some of these characteristics. There are a few options to produce a more symmetric rounded pair of breasts that include various combinations of lifts, reductions, implants, expansions, and/or fat grafting although the latter is bit more controversial at this stage.

When you are prepared to address this issue, be frank with your surgeon about what will make you happy and go over all the possible options.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Yes, it is definitely possible for you to achieve a more rounded, symmetric look with breast augmentation.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Yes, it is definitely possible for you to achieve a more rounded, symmetric look with breast augmentation. You will also likely benefit from areola reduction to decrease the size of the areola and areolar position.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS