Should I Be Concerned About the Hardness of a Cad/cam Crown Causing Damage to Other Teeth in my Mouth?

I know a dental hygienist who told me that cad/cam crowns are so hard that they can cause damage to other teeth in the mouth. She said she has seen some clients who have big dental problems now because these hard crowns have damaged other teeth in their mouth. Is this something I should be concerned about in deciding what type of crown to choose for my own mouth?

Should I Be Concerned About the Hardness of a Cad/cam Crown Causing Damage to Other Teeth?

+1

I do not see this as a problem. I think there is more to the story of the excessive wear than these new crown materials. They are hard (brands like eMax or Zirconia, or Brux-eze). And, any ceramic crown needs to be final polished appropriately. Sometimes I believe this last step gets missed. Rough ceramics can cause excessive wear.

Ceramic crowns or onlays (a partial ceramic crown that preserves more of the natural tooth) require precise thicknesses. I believe that sometimes excessive adjustment is made on the tooth that the crown bites against in an effort to get enough space.

We do have research that shows that the most popular ceramic materials right now are not really that abrasive and wear the other teeth at the same rate as a natural tooth. 

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Cad/cam damage

+1

I have been placing cad/cam restorations for 6 years now in my office and have not seen damage to the surrounding teeth in any cases.  The porcelain that was used years ago use to cause some major wear on the opposing tooth, but the material is designed today to prevent that from happening and in my office, it has not been an issue.  Thanks!

Blaine McLaughlin, DDS
Cedar Rapids Cosmetic Dentist