I Am Concerned About my Implants. Are They Going to Settle In? Why Do They Appear Saggier then Before Surgery to Me? (photo)

They were so full after surgery and they seem to just be deflating, looking saggy, and they have a weird shape from the side. I am just wondering if these will settle in okay or if i should be concerned? They just seem kind of bulgy with a weird fat pocket hanging from it. I am almost 1 month post op.

Will Breast Implants Settle?

+2

From your pre-operative photos it looks like you have stretch marks on your breast tissue either from pregnancy or weight loss. This means that your skin has stretched from whatever the cause but your muscle never changes with these circumstances. You breast skin was ready for the implant (deflated) but the chest muscle wasn't as it had never been stretched previously, and it takes time for the muscle to catch up with the skin. 

Be patient and make sure that you continue to see progress over the next several months. Continue to visit your plastic surgeon to ensure you are getting proper care. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Implant results

+1

I would give your implants another 3-4 months to settle into their final resting place.  During this time you should continue your breast massage which will also help lower the implant.  Focus mainly on the downward massage motions.  Also your plastic surgeon can provide you with a band that goes across the top of your breasts to provide light consistent pressure in the downward motion.  This may help to speed up the process.  As the implant lowers it will fill out what the "sagging" that you are seeing.  I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Settling of Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.

The implants will drop into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward will assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants).   Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

From your photos, it looks as if the implants are still riding high on your chest wall (common for 1 month post op) but should settle into the pockets creating a nicer shape.

Be patient and visit your plastic surgeon regularly.  Best wishes.

Implant position is still high. But it's early, and things will improve!

+1

At one month post-op, your implants are still high on your chest wall, and have not yet dropped into the desired position that will fill your skin brassiere. Right now, your own breast tissue (that "weird fat pocket") hangs over the still-too-high implant, giving you a "Snoopy-dog" deformity. If this were present 1 year after surgery, it would be due to capsular contracture causing a high, tight look. BUt at 1 month this is not only normal, it shows your surgeon has "built-in" a certain degree of anticipated implant "drop" that IMHO always occurs.

The only problem is that we surgeons cannot tell in advance how much each patient's implants will drop, or how long it will take them to get there! But dropping almost always occurs, so you are just fine at this point in time.

Follow your surgeon's advice regarding implant movement exercises, and consider an upper-pole elastic bandeau at night while going braless during the day (so gravity can help you achieve the look you want). Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant positions

+1

At one month your implants may still be a bit high. Give them time to settle into the pocket this may take a few more months.

Will my breasts settle in OK? (photo)

+1

It is difficult to predict exactly what will happen, and the abnormal shape may be due to a variety of factors.  Your concern is understood, but my advice would be try not to worry too much about it now.  Just follow your surgeon's instructions and be as patient as possible, allowing soft tissue covering the implant to stretch, swelling to resolve, skin and muscle compliance to increase, and the implants to drop into the expanded envelope.  It may take several more months for these changes to develop.  

Sometimes, surgical revision is necessary to achieve your desired result.    Sometimes, we anticipate revision will be necessary, but the result improves and becomes beautiful after several months of patient watchful waiting, obviating the need for further surgery. 

Steve Laverson, MD