Should I Be Concerned if a Lipoma is Painful?

I have multiple lipomas along my rib cage. Recently the one under my ribcage is very painful, to the point where it is disrupting my sleep. When I get them examined, the doctor usually just goes ah ha,...just a lipoma, don't worry about it, they don't hurt. This one does and the other ones at various times will ache. I went to an endocrinologist because I have nodules and a goiter in my thyroid and mentioned it but no one seems to be concerned.

Lipomas are generally not painful.

+1

Hi.

This particular lipoma may be pressing on a nerve and that's the cause of pain.  Or else it is not a lipoma.  Since it is causing symptoms, it would make sense to remove it.

Lipomas can hurt

+1

It is rare for lipomas to cause intense pain.  If anything, they can sometimes cause discomfort, but usually, they are just a nuisance.  If you are having discomfort/pain, you should go back to your doctor.  There is no harm in getting lipomas removed--the best person for this is a general surgeon or plastic surgeon.  Good luck!