Should I Be Concerned if a Lipoma is Painful?

I have multiple lipomas along my rib cage. Recently the one under my ribcage is very painful, to the point where it is disrupting my sleep. When I get them examined, the doctor usually just goes ah ha,...just a lipoma, don't worry about it, they don't hurt. This one does and the other ones at various times will ache. I went to an endocrinologist because I have nodules and a goiter in my thyroid and mentioned it but no one seems to be concerned.

Lipomas are generally not painful.

This particular lipoma may be pressing on a nerve and that's the cause of pain.  Or else it is not a lipoma.  Since it is causing symptoms, it would make sense to remove it.

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Lipomas can hurt

It is rare for lipomas to cause intense pain.  If anything, they can sometimes cause discomfort, but usually, they are just a nuisance.  If you are having discomfort/pain, you should go back to your doctor.  There is no harm in getting lipomas removed--the best person for this is a general surgeon or plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

120 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022