Concerned About Intercostal Brachial Nerve Damage, Is This Permanent?

Concerned about intercostal brachial nerve damage. Experiencing some numbness inside upper arm. Appeared at day 7 post op.  Had my saline 410cc implants armpit entry w/ anchor lift 8/30/13. Post op fu appt went well but in the last 24 hrs I am losing feeling in the skin of upper right arm. My whole outer breasts are still numb. Outsides of breasts have been numb since surgery. I am concerned more about my arms. I need to keep up my upper body strength for my job. Can this worsen? Is it permanent? Why happening 7 days out? Any info is helpful I can't call my surgeon currently. I think the numbness is worsening

Loss of nerve sensation after breast surgery

+1

It is unlikely that this would be a permanent type nerve injury.  More likely the nerve is bruised and your sensation will return in the next 3 to 6 weeks.  Seems unusual to have a transaxillary breast augmentation combined with a breast lift of any kind.  

+1

If you had sensation after the surgery, this new loss of sensation may be due to swelling and will probably go away with time. Even if this nerve was damaged in surgery, all you can do is wait 1 year for resolution. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Breast Augmentation

+1

Since you had arm sensation early after surgery, it is unlikely that any permanent nerve damage has occurred. What are likely experiencing is called neuropraxia, which is from the nerve stretching. Both your breast and arm numbness should improve in time. Sometimes it takes over a year for the complete result.

Karen Vaniver, MD