Should I Be Concerned About Excess Skin if I Am Downsizing my Breast Implants by 32ccs? (photo)

Age 39 , 5'6", 125lbs, no kids, fair w/ red hair. I was a 34A. In April 2011 I got 371cc Natrelle Style 15 implants. I downsized to Style 10 240ccs in November 2012. My skin has not retracted; therefore I have decided to go bigger again. The entire time I had 371ccs my skin was painfully sensitive which leads me to believe it may still have been stretching. For this reason, I thought of going 2tbsp smaller to Style 15 339ccs. Do you think I will still have excess skin if I do that?

Downsizing Breast Implants and Excess Skin?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although precise advice would necessitate in person consultation, generally speaking a change of 32 ccs  should not leave you with “excess skin” (or much of a noticeable change in  breast size). Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource; communicate your goals clearly to minimize the chances that additional surgery will be necessary in the near future.

Breast implant size

+1

I'm not sure which photos are which.  I think you will be fine with your plan, but it sure seems like an ongoing waste of money to keep changing sizes.  But, your money, your body.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implant Size Change

+1

It is difficult to say whether going back up to 339 would fill in the skin envelope to your satisfaction.  Looking at your breasts now, they appear to be in good shape with the 240s.  I am not completely sure of what I'm looking at in the picture labeled 'excess skin", but it appears to be very near your armpit, an area that is not usually affected by even large implants.  So, I don't know for sure, but highly doubt that 339s will 'tighten' the loose skin you perceive.

However, going back up to 339 will probably feel about as large as the 371, though, and that might not be to your liking.

I would have this discussion with your doctor, as he will be able to make the best determination.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Changing implant volume

+1

Upper lateral chest skin folds may or may not improve with placing larger implants. It is hard to predict how the breasts will respond.  Best to be seen in person.

Should I Be Concerned About Excess Skin if I Am Downsizing my Breast Implants by 32ccs?

+1

32 cc should not cause skin laxity, or much if any noticeable size alteration. The current photo shows what looks like a nice result, with no skin laxity. Only in the photo on the right is there any sense of excess skin, and that is from your garment. I wouldn't be surprised it this were to look the same with a 371 or 339 cc implant. This "loose" skin is in the axilla, not the breast.

I would be reluctant as a surgeon to offer this third operation, as I am not confident that it will accomplish what you expect 

All the best. 

Breast Skin After Reducing Breast Implant Size

+1

Dear Smallerisokbyme,

The change in implant size (32 cc) that you are considering is very small and should have minimal impact on your perceived amount of breast skin.

Choosing the best treatment option and implant size for you requires a thorough evaluation and discussion. Please be sure to see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

San Francisco, CA USA

Larry Fan, MD