Concerned About Ear Scars? (photo)

I went in for a consult yesterday. I thought I only needed a neck lift, but the doctor said I need a lower face, and neck lift. He said that he would be cutting through my hair line in front of my ears and behind. He was unable to show me any good photos of the ear scars that I would expect to have. I'm really uncomfortable about having scarring all around my ears. Do you think It's necessary? I'm 38 years old.

A facelift & necklift are not usually recommended for someone your age. Ear incisions heal better now with regenerative medicine

+1

Sagging happens when the skin and the soft tissue under the skin called the SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) descends. This usually happens during the age of 40 and above, so it is quite unusual for someone young like you to have a face and neck lift.  When I do facelift and neck lift procedures, I put the incision in the inside at the opening of the ear and along the crease.  However, for patients as young as you, I first evaluate how elastic and flexible the skin is because if the skin is too tough, a more extensive dissection and manipulation of the area is done to get the lift needed. This might lead to a lot of scar formation.

In my practice, I use a material called extracellular matrix (ECM) made by ACell that is derived from pig bladder. This is a part of a new generation of regenerative medical care that regenerates muscles and other injuries by stimulating the body’s own stem cells to heal by duplication. This prevents scar formation after facelift and neck lifts. This also contributes to getting a well defined neck and jawline allowing appropriate movement of soft tissue in the cheek area.

I suggest that you wait for a few years until it’s more justifiable to do a facelift. Research about procedures and get more opinions on what is right for you. A good understanding and education about what is involved may help you choose the procedure that is appropriate for your situation.  I hope that was helpful, and thank you for question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Face lift and neck lift scars

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Face lift and neck lift incisions heal great if performed properly and are often hard to see even up close.  You will want to feel comfortable with your decision going forward.  One option is to ask if you can talk with a prior face lift/ neck lift patient of the plastic surgeon you are considering.  Doing so may allow you to make an informed decision about how you would like to proceed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Face/Neck lift scaring

+1

A face and neck lift is an amazing surgery. You will look wonderful and thank the day you had it done. I wouldnt worry about scaring but rather how great you will look. It is important to find a Dr that will give you the best results. Good luck

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Concerned About Ear Scars?

+1

Dear Anioslo,

thank you for your question.  You will certainly have a nice improvement in neck lift alone.  A lot of the laxity in the jaw line will be taken out with the neck lift because when you recreate the 90 degree angle of the neck, this takes more skin.  I.e. the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and after the neck lift, we are creating a long distance by taking the skin in a the neck. 

best wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lesser procedures should be considered

+1

Thank you for your photo.  You are a tricky case.  You do not have distinct jowling to indicate that a traditional facelift approach would be recommended.  You have some heaviness to your neck and a receeding chin/jaw.  You should seek several opinions from PS that have extensive experience in facial aesthetic surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Concerned about ear scars

+1

I think it is very important for your surgeon to listen to your concerns and to address and alleviate your anxieties.  Certainly, if you only want a neck lift then that is all that you should have.  However, the incisions in front of the ears (or in the tragus) typically heal beautifully and your  photos suggest that you might benefit from having the jowls and the lower face addressed at the time of your neck lift.  But you must be comfortable with the surgeon and with the surgical plan before you have anything done.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift Ear Scarring?

+1

The incisions you have described from your consult are very typically used in the type of surgery that was recommended.  They usually heal very quickly and are not noticeable once healed, certainly much less visible than patients expect.  Its sounds as though you had a good consultation; I agree that you would benefit from the lower facelift and necklift. Good Luck! “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding scars after facelift.

+1

There are many ways to improve the appearance of the neck surgically. The ideal technique depends on a patients age , neck anatomy and expectations. I have to say I agree with your surgeon in recommending a full face and neck lift. This will help you achieve the maximum possible elevation of your neck which does appear to be fairly heavy. A lesser procedure may not be sturdy enough for you. The incisions are camouflaged by placing them in the natural folds and contours around the ear should be inconspicuous once fully healed. It would be nice for you to see these incisions on other patients so perhaps you can ask your surgeon to show you some examples so that your informed. In the meantime have a look at some before and after photos where you can see where the incisions are placed.  Best of luck!

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear scars and a facelift

+1

I think that you are a great candidate for a lower facelift, necklift, lipocontouring of the neck, and possible chin implant. Scarring is rarely a problem for a healthy facelift patient as the incisions can be very well camouflaged. Scarring is more of a concern in smokers, diabetics, people who take steroids chronically for conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis etc, and people with a history of keloiding. As long as the surgeon is experienced doing facelifts it shouldn't be a big concern. In my opinion I think that the results of a facelift combined with a neck lift and lipocontouring of the neck would be much better than an isolated neck lift.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Facelift Incisions

+1

Thanks for the question and for your photos. I understand your concerns about scarring. However, facelift incisions are generally placed around the ears and in the hairline to "hide" them. And, when repaired well, these are hardly noticeable over time. I would, however, recommend looking at pictures with your prospective surgeon.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon