Concerned About Drooping Brow and Inability to Make Eyes Look Up After Eyelid Surgery.

It has been 2 weeks and I am still unable to look up after upper eyelid surgery(cannot pull eyeball to look upward with muscles no matter how hard I try). From day one, my brow has sagged and felt very heavy...extreme sag on the outside conerns has come up a bit with diminished swelling, but not much My doctor sort of brushed off my question when I asked if this was normal. I'm concerned and would like to know if any other doctors have seen this happen.

A photograph would be very helpful here.

+5
You clearly are having an issue after surgery. If your surgeon is blowing you off, it is time for a second opinion. You need to see an oculoplastic surgeon. The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that can help you find a well qualified oculoplastic surgeon near where you live (ASOPRS.org).

Brow drops

+3

You are only 2 weeks so I would give it more time.Is this usual?No it is not but it certtainly could be due to swelling so I would give it a little more time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid issue surgery

+3

What you are describing doesn't seem normal 2 months after surgery.  There could be various causes.  It is difficult to assess without a photo.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unable to look up after eyelid surgery

+3

I certainly agree with my colleagues that the best course of action would be to see a member of the highly selective ASOPRS.  However, that you are only 2 weeks after surgery may suggest that things could improve with a few months healing.  So my advice is yes, get another opinion, but don't think you have a severe complication because it is still early in the post op course.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Inability to Look Upward After Eyelid Surge

+2

There is no question that these symptoms require further evaluation.  A true inability to look upward after upper eyelid surgery is very unusual and requires further investigation.  I recommend that you raise your concerns with your Surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can have swelling caused by trauma to the muscles of the eye

+2

After 2 weeks of surgery you can have swelling which is caused by trauma to the muscles of the eye.  This may heal in time, but sometimes could be problematic and could call for additional surgery or treatment.  I would definitely go back to the doctor and have them check it out to be safe.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Concerned about droopy brow after upper eyelid surgery.

+2

I have performed Brow Lifts and Upper Eyelid Surgeries for over 20 years and I can't see how an Upper eyelid Surgery would cause your Eyebrow(s) to droop unless there was another aspect of the surgery in addition to what you have mentioned.  you may want to have your surgeon explain what was done during your procedure...lateral Brow Lift, Botox to forehead...something?

It's not unusual to have somewhat decreased and restricted eyelid motion, at 2 weeks, after an upper eyelid surgery especially if your surgeon removed a strip of the upper eyelid muscle.  IMHO, this should improve over the next several weeks.

As far as this comment "I certainly agree with my colleagues that the best course of action would be to see a member of the highly selective ASOPRS. "  This type of blatant misrepresentation of any one surgical organization has no place on this forum, IMHO, nor should it be tolerated.  The last time I checked, The American Borad of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery had far fewer members and by your logic would be even more selective.  The truth is that there are numerous surgical boards and societies with members who are all highly skilled and competent to perform Eyelid Surgery not just the organization to which you happen to belong.

Drooping eyebrow

+1

While it is concerning, I would wait until the swelling resolves before rushing to judgment.  Clearly if your surgeon blows you off, you should seek another opinion.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Poor Eye Motility After Eyelid Surgery

+1

LG123,

Inability to look up for two weeks after eyelid surgery sounds highly unusual.  I would need to examine you to be able to comment further.  I recommend that you seek an opinion from a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery.  You can find a member in your area on their website.   I recommend that you ask your original surgeon for a copy of your operative report and take it with you for the second opinion.  That way, the second doctor will know exactly what the surgery entailed.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon