Concerned About Doctors Suggested Approach to Neck Lift Revision

3 month visit to the Dr today. He agreed to a revision & suggested that the appearance that I have is due to fat left under the skin. He wants to make an incision under my chin again & take out more fat(I had little to begin with)and stitch the incision. I'm concerned about his approach. I dont think this is fat but is extra skin and his idea at a solution may cause more of an issue. I think I need tightening with incisions in front and behind the ears.

+4

Thank you for posting the photos. Yes, you are correct, too much skin left, not fat. Best to see more consultants. From MIAMI 

Facelift revision.

+4

It looks like this is not excess fat but excess skin. Therefore, more fat removal will make things worse. See another experienced facelift surgeon to discuss what results can be expected in a revision.

Revision neck lift approach questioned.

+3

I assume you had incisions around your ears as part of the initial procedure. At three months post-op, this is the absolute earliest I would even consider any kind of revision, regardless of approach. Things have just barely and not completely begun to soften and mature. So consider waiting, though I understand your concern given your result shown in the photos.

Though I don't have the benefit of direct examination, nor the actual hands-on with your neck anatomy in the operating room like your surgeon, I must say I agree with you rather than your surgeon. There is little or no fat in the neck area, but perhaps this is your doctor's way of describing what will actually be lifting and re-healing the neck skin in a more smooth fashion. Redraping the skin is what is needed, and whether or not this can be accomplished through the small neck incision is the question. But redoing the entire necklift incisions around both ears requires significantly more time, suturing, and cost, and this needs to be taken into account as well.

You and your surgeon need to have a heart-to-heart talk and lay out the concerns, pros and cons, cost and risks, and arrive at a plan that makes you both comfortable. It sounds as if you both want a better result--so why not give that discussion a go?

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Revision of loose neck

+2

In my opinion, you are correct in that you have extra skin and not fat.  This would benefit much more from a facelift and not further neck fat removal.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Neck issue

+2

Without seeing you in person it is difficult to say, but it looks like in the photos that it is skin.  Was the hairline incision used or a short scar.  It looks as if the skin needs to be redraped in a more posterior rather than vertical direction.

Face Lift, Beverly Hills Face Lift, Local Face Lift, Radiesse, perlane, Cheek Implants

+2

You should wait at least another 3 months for a total of 6 months in order for the neck skin to have had ample time to properly heal before a revision Neck Lift is considered IMHO.  From your photos, it appears that there is excess skin that would most likely require the incisions under the chin and behind the ear/into hairline, which is a formal Neck Lift

It's also likely that an incision would need to be created around the lower half of your ears to remove the excess skin created by the Neck Lift re-drape of skin in the upward and backward fashion.  This should be explained and demonstrated to you by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that ypu choose to do the revision Neck Lift and partial Face Lift.

Extra skin or fat after neck lift

+1

You should ideally see another surgeon who is experienced with neck lifts to examine you rather than stating what you need by examining a photo.  You may need to be evaluated with changing your head position to see what vectors of tension are needed to change the skin's tightness if it is loose skin.  The initial surgery and its skin incision should be evaluated to see in which direction your skin was pulled.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Problem neck after facelift...

+1

The overal recommendation to wait is a time honored one and what I also agree with.  That being said, your note implies you have a mini-facelift or Lifestyle Lift.  If that is true, you will have to consider converting your procedure to a formal, full facelift to spread out the lax skin that remains.  If you didn't mind having scars on the front of your neck, you could consider excising the excess skin that way but you will need to make sure that the procedure will address your concerns to your satisfaction.

Curtis Wong, MD

Timing of Neck Lift Revision

+1

Hi toadsmom,

Thank you for sharing your photographs. I agree with other plastic surgeons and best to wait an additional few more months, at minimum, before considering a revision neck lift procedure. To truly lift the neck in some patients, a neck lift will require incisions around the ear, which is really a face lift. The face lift helps address excess skin and sagging tissue in the lower face and neck, in addition to excess neck fat. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a face lift surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Revision

+1

Wait at least another 3 months or longer before undergoing any revision.

The revision will likely entail a freeing-up and redraping of your neck skin with removal of any residual skin redundancy.

Stephan Baker, MD