Should I Be Concerned About Only One Consult Visit, Then Surgery Scheduled???

I went to a consultation with a PS on 9/18, I was approved by my insurance United Healthcare on 9/30, and my surgery is scheduled for 11/22. My surgery will be outpatient and I dont have anymore visits until the day of surgery. Should I be concerned?? I dont know what kind of surgical bra to get, I dont know when I should stop taking meds, do they need to do blood work?? Im just confused because from all of my research there seems to be more visits than what I have.

Is one consultation enough?

+1

Usually is. But any patient can call and ask any questions after the initial visit. If needed you can schedule another visit to discuss the details. In our office we constantly keep in touch with our patients until the day of the surgery to address any questions or issues the patient might have.

I would suggest to get in touch with your PS to get full answers to all of your questions.

Should I Be Concerned About Only One Consult Visit

+1

You should not be concerned about how many preop visits you have, you shouold be concerned if you did not have all your questions answered. We routinely have only one visit preop and go over everything verbally and then back that up with a notebook that patients can refer to if they forget something. And we always offer the patient as many preop visits as they feel is necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pre Operative Visit Before Surgery

+1

Your questions are very valid and I am wondering if there might be a misunderstanding. Each office has their own way of doing things, and while it is not unusual to schedule surgery after your consultation, a pre operative visit is usually scheduled, we have ours at 2 weeks prior to surgery. At that visit we give out a booklet with all pre and post operative care instructions, order blood tests, give you your prescriptions that need to be filled and review your surgical procedure with you. Many surgeons, myself included provide the post operative bra right after surgery. You should call your surgeons office and state your concerns. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast Reduction Surgery #breast reduction# pre-operative assessment.

+1

I would contact the surgeon you were referred to for your breast reduction and clarify all that you are concerned with. Maybe there was a miscommunication regarding your pre-operative preparation and review of all the medications, etc. Typically, you would have at least one additional pre-operative visit to answer all of your concerns and questions as well as a history and physical exam. The doctor or nurse would then review all medications to avoid, most likely order a post surgical bra for you, and prescribe any blood work needed prior to surgery. Hope this helps!!

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is one consultation visit enough?

+1

If you are concerned about any aspect of the proposed procedure, or the the office under consideration, please visit the office and or doctor again. Your financial coordinator, or practice nurse should be a ready resource. Also, shop your surgery concerns to another practice. Most of all, be comfortable in your choices. Today there are plenty of possibilities anywhere in the country.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Pre-op Concerns

+1
Your questions would have been addressed by my office at the time of your initial visit (need for special garments, meds, blood work, etc.). You should call your surgeon's office inb order to have your valid questions answered.

John Whitt, MD