Concerned About Coloring of Areola and Spots Around Incision? (photo)

I had a breast augmentation yesterday June 14, 2012 ( Periareolar incision, silicone, high profile, 325cc's, subpectoral) A few hours later I began to notice my areola's darken and a red blotchy spot form on my left breast. This morning it appears worse and the Right breast is showing similar signs. I haven't been able to contact my doctor yet because it is still too early in the morning, but I am frightened, and cannot sleep. Is what I am experiencing normal or reason for concern? Thank you

Discoloration of the areola

+4

Most likely what you have is post operative bruising. But still check with your plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation Post Op

+2

Hello and thanks for the question.

The photos you have provided indicate that you most likely are experiencing typical bruising seen with breast augmentation. As my colleagues have suggested, confer with your surgeon.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Concerned About Coloring of Areola and Spots Around Incision?

+2

Even though it appears as excessive areolar bruising ALWAYS best to contact your chosen surgeon ASAP. Early is never an excuse. You had surgery so ANY concern is open to your questions at any time!!! CALL him/her NOW

Breast augmentation question

+2

It is probably bruising. If breast are very uneven with one bigger and more painful you may have a hematoma, Call your doctor and he or she will help you.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

This looks like a bruise, but if that breast begins to swell (more than the other), a hematoma may be starting.

+2

Based on your photo, this is just bruising around one of your incisions. If your breast swells significantly compared to the opposite side, you should call your surgeon. This could be a sign of breast hematoma (bleeding).

If, however, the breasts remain the same size and softness, this is a perfectly normal bruise that will resolve without any concern whatsoever. Despite even the most careful surgical technique, we can never promise exactly identical bruising, swelling, or healing rates.

Carefully examine your breasts and call your surgeon if you notice significant size discrepancy, but don't otherwise worry about a bruise on one side only. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Of The Areola After Surgery

+1

Dear Steph,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

It seems like you have areolar bruising but it is important that you check it with your surgeon as a photo cannot replace a physical examination.

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Post op bruising with breast augmentation

+1

This appears to be normal bruising after breast augmentation using a peri-areolar approach and not much to be concerned about. You still should be in communication with your surgeon though and let him/her know your concerns. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I am woried about the color of my areola a day after breast augmentation.

+1

You should be able to reach your plastic surgeon at any hour of the day or night specially immediately after surgery. It is most likely a bruise but your doctor is the one to make that jugement. Try to see him as soon as you can. If you can't reach him, go to an emergency room of a major hospital where a plastic surgeon could evaluate your situation.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Areola issues early post-op

+1

It is difficult to tell from the photos but if there is any concern about the viability of the aureolas, you should contact your surgeon immediately.