Would A Chin Implant Would Cause Over-Projection In My Case? (photo)

In my case, I need width, not projection of the chin in order to give it the desired square appearance and to enhance angularity. It has therefore been recommended that dermal fillers or fat grafts would be better suited, as an implant would have a tendency to over-project my chin. Thoughts?

Would A Chin Implant Would Cause Over-Projection In My Case?

+1

There are chin implants that add very little frontal projection but do add width to the sides of the chin.

No chin implant

+1

I agree with you - I think a chin implant would give overprojection.  Also, in the "desired" photo, you've cleaned up all the posterior mandible and cheek area.  That might take a facelift, in real life.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Chin Implant appropriate for me?

+1

The photos do show that the pre-jowl region is deficient and the chin itself may be slightly weak.  An extended anatomical chin implant would help and also liposuction of the neck to improve the overall contour of the mandible (jawline).  Removal of the buccal fat pad is also an option to help obtain the desired result shown in the photo. 

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant?

+1

A true lateral photo would be helpful, but from the photo you gave you probably would benefit from a neck left and/or lipsuction of the neck.  This would enhance your present chin.  An custom implant or fillers could also be used to obtain the result you desire.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Chin Augmentation

+1

The chin and angle of the jaw can be improved using either dermal fillers or implants.  However, the fat under your chin needs to be improved to give you a more angled appearance or else you will not likely be happy with your results.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Would A Chin Implant Would Cause Over-Projection

+1

You will need more than a chin implant to achieve your goals. However there is a chin implant designed in the 1960's by Dr. Benito Rish ( I think) that achieves the kind of Kirk Douglas chin that you desire. I've done 4 or 5 of these over the years. I do it believe fat or dermal fillers can give the angularity you want, but then I have never used injectable fillers to augment the chin. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant selection

+1

You can improve square, strong appearance with the appropriate size and type of imlant.  For instance, a medium Turino or Mittelman implant.   These would give good volume to the jaw and chin without excess projection.  Also, you're not going to look like your simulation without some chin and jaw liposuction.  Best option would be laser assisted liposuction such as SlimLipo.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

When you realy analyze the desired look of the pictures you posted, it seems that what you want is a sharp mandibular angle, and a sharp well defined jaw line. So a chin implant whatever shape will not give you the look in the desired pictures you posted. Your neck fat need to be cleaned as well as the jaw line fat. The chiseled look of the last picture, need a thin face and maybe removal of some buccal fat pad

Square Chin Look Using Implants

+1

That is not a correct assumption about chin implants. Chin implants can be shaped so that they only add volume to the sides to square the chin and do not add more than 1 or 2mms of central projection in doing so. They can even be custom made to suit the exact patient's needs. Neither dermal fillers or fat grafts will achieve a square chin look as they do have enough 'push' to sustain the relatively firm angles that are required to make your chin more square. They will likely just give you a big round chin look.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Would a Chin Implant Cause Over-Projection?

+1

I need to see a picture of your profile to answer your question. All implants should be selected, contoured, and individualized to meet the needs of each patient. For example, maybe you need an implant that does not increase tip projection but does augment the pre-jowl area. You want a physician who uses all techniques, not just fillers and fat injections.