Concerned About Bump 6 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty? (photo)

As the swelling subsides I have a visible, palpable bump on the left side of my nose that presents like the bump I had surgery to remove. It feels like bone. There is some soreness in the area and it feels like the areas of tenderness are moving around, perhaps as healing progresses. I had destination surgery and therefore am not able to see my doctor in person. Is it possible for this to resolve itself or might I have to consider a revision?

Bump Following Rhinoplasty

+2

It is too early to know 6 weeks out. From your limited photos you appear to have a residual bump on top of your nose. It is hard for me to comment on the sore area to the left. It could be many things. You may find that months out it will resolve. Usually about 95% of the swelling will go down at about 6 weeks or so, but the last 5% takes as long as a year. Scars mature for one year so do not consider a revision for one year at least. The only time to go back for a revision sooner is if there is a clear deformity and it is within about 7-10 days before scarring really starts to set in.

Concerned about bump on nose

+1

At 6 weeks following a rhinoplasty, it is far too early to assess the results. Most of the swelling resolves by 6 -9 months but it can take up to a year for it to maximally resolve. Unfortunately, with your destination surgery approach, your options for follow-up are limited. Without you having provided specifics, it is also unclear what your long term options are if you needed a revisional surgery. You may want to make the practice aware of your concerns.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Bump Following Rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry to hear you are having concerns following your rhinoplasty. This is one procedure that can have considerable swelling post-operatively - sometimes for as long a year.  If you are still unhappy with your results at one year, you may wish to consider a revision at that time.  Unfortunately, the problem with destination surgery is that surgical follow-up, which is a critical part of patient care, is not always possible.  I highly recommend that you consider seeing a very experienced, board certified plastic surgeon in your own area, if possible, should a revision become necessary. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bump

+1

At 6 weeks it is too early to see final results and the presumed bump that you see. Give it time to heal.

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

It is too early at 6 weeks to make an accurate assessment.  You sill have swelling.  Only after a year should you consider revision.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Residual Bump After #Rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos there is evidence of a residual bump, but without an exam there is no way to confirm its source. If, with pressure, you cannot make it disappear then it is likely to be bone and could warrant a revision. However, it is standard to wait a full year from the procedure for a revision. I would recommend finding a surgeon with significant experience in rhinoplasty surgery as you move forward. This is one of the many risks regarding destination surgery. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Swelling or Residual Bump at 6 Weeks Following Rhinoplasty

+1

I must admit that the bump does look significant from the photos, but without an exam at 6 weeks it could be swelling.  At any rate, this is a relatively easy thing to get right in a revision.  Kenneth Hughes, MD, HughesPlasticSurgery, Los Angeles