Concerned About Boyfriend's Lipo for Gynecomastia

Do the doctor's actually go directly under the nipple when doing laser liposuction. I have seen photos where the nipples were still raised or is it unsafe for them to go directly under the nipple?

Liposuction alone will not correct gynecomastia.

+1

Hi.

1)  There is always some hard breast tissue right under the nipple..This tissue needs to be removed, and any kind of liposuction does not touch it.  There are three important steps.

2)  Liposuction gets rid of most of the bulk, and this is done through a tiny incision either in the nipple or on the side of the chest.

3)  The breast tissue is cut out through a tiny incision in the underside of the nipple.  A little breast tissue is left behind so the nipples don't stick to the muscles.

4)  The fold under the breast has to be eliminated, so that the abdomen and the chest blend.  If there is a fold, it still looks like a breast even if it is a lot flatter.

Gynecomastia (male breast reduction) surgery concerns

+1

When I do liposuction for gynecomastia I use the VASER or ultrasonic system. This allows us to go underneath the nipple area safely and that is one of the main areas where we concentrate with the ultrasonic treatment as well as a liposuction. Laser liposuction, in my opinion, is more invasive and traumatic. There are many different laser systems and different power settings. If this is a major concern you should discuss this with your boyfriend and his surgeon. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia (male breast) reduction usually required fat AND gland removal

+1

True Gynecomastia (male breasts) probably require a combination of liposuction plus excision of breast tissue in otder to achieve an optimal result. Liposuction alone, with ot without the laser, is likely to leave behind breast tissue which can make the areola more prominent once the fat alone has been removed. Therefore fat AND gland are typically removed to get an optimal result.

It is safe

+1

It is safe to liposuction beneath the nipple. It is advisable at times to make a small incision in the areola to remove tissue beneath the nipple directly.  Men do not want a "poofy" nipple after the procedure.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Gynecomastia

+1

Gynecomastia or enlagement of the male breast can be caused by pure breast tissue located under the niple areola. This is mostly seen in very young individuals who are lean and not fat. Surgery is primarly focused at removal of a button of breast tissue under the nipple areola, leaving some tissue under the nipple areola to preserve the blood supply to the nipple areola. In other cases the gynecomastia is both fat in the breast and breast tissue, then liposuction of the chest and removal of breast tissue is done.

If the breast enlagement is purely or mostly fat then liposuction all what is needed. The appropriate surgery is determined after a complete examination by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Gynecomastia Surgery concerns

+1

Gynecomastia (Man Boob) Surgery is customized to each patient's presentation. In many cases, liposuction of the entire breast area and its flattening will suffice while in others liposuction and removal of a small amount of breast tissue underneath the areola/nipple complex may be needed. Finally, in those rare and advanced cases where breasts hang low more extensive surgery is needed.

In the vast majority of cases, Gynecomastia surgery produces nice results and reduces these man's appearance with a great boost in their self-confidence.

For the most comprehensive information on Gynecomastia (Man Boobs) Plastic Surgery on the Internet, follow the link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Get a second opinion

+1

Why are only you worried -- I don't like laser liposuction -- there are better ways to correct gynecomastia. I find that a small amount of ultrasound lipo with conventional lipo and possibly surgical removal of the remaining breast tissue through a tiny incision around the nipple gives a great result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD