Concern About Asymmetry Breast After Breast Reduction? (photo)

I had the breast reduction surgery on July 18. My PS removed 130 gm from the left breast and 90 gm from the right one. After a few weeks after the surgery, I found out the left breast seemed to be a little flatter than the right breast, and the incision line is longer, too. Now, it is more obvious. The right feel firmer and the left is softer and flatter. I understand it'll take time for me to see the final result. Will they become more similar as time goes by or a revision surgery is needed?

Concern About Asymmetry After #BreastReduction?

+2

Asymmetry is normal - with or without surgery, and whether on the breasts or any other part of the body for which there are two (ie, eyes, sides of the face, etc.).  Although I'm only looking at a photo I think that the general appearance of your breasts is nice from a post-surgical standpoint, so I think you can be happy about that.  I would advise you to wait until at least six months after surgery and if, at that point, you remain concerned about asymmetry or any other aspect of your result, you can consider a revisional procedure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

No two breasts are identical

+2

Thank you for the question and photo.  Although there is some volume difference noted from the photo you have uploaded the difference is not dramatic.  Your options for addressing the volume difference is to either reduce the larger breast or perform at grafting to smaller breast.   I would give it additional time for recovery and consider whether the difference in volume that you currently exhibit is worth addressing.

all the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

You need more time!

+2

QQ,
You need more time before even thinking about additional surgery.  Every patient is different.  Some patients can take 1-2 years to settle down after breast reduction surgery.  It looks like you are on the right track.  No patient ever ends up perfectly even.  Don't forget your wound massage - twice a day for five minutes with whatever lotion you like.  This will help the wounds to soften sooner.
Good luck!
Michael Novia, MD

Michael Novia, MD
Olympia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction asymmetry can be corrected.

+1

Hi.

You have a pretty good result, but the left breast is flatter on top.  If this really bothers you after a few months, a touch up will help a lot.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction

+1

Give it more time. At three months the breasts may be a bit firm and the scars will definitely be red. 

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

As you know, the breasts will contain to change over the course of the next few months and even up to one year after surgery. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict whether the breasts will become more symmetrical with time or not. Only time will tell…

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  communicate your questions and concerns.