Concave Anthelix? (photo)

Hi I don't know what happened to my left ear during pinnaplasty, but would like to know if the antihelix could be improved in any way. Preferably without taking the existing cartilage out and replacing with rib. I think the perichondrium is no longer present. Thank you

Improvement of Deep Antihelical Fold After Otoplasty

+2

Improving the deep antihelical fold may be possible to be done by releasing cartilage behind it. But without allowing placing an interpositional graft in the release, it will not likely be effective. Another option is to consider microcannula fat injections into the sulcus which more directly addresses your concern. 

Problems after Otoplasty

+1

The ear and its cartilages are quite complex. Unfortunately, the only way to know what your problem is is to examine you and see the operative report from the Otoplasty.  There are, fortunately, multiple options to revise the antihelix other than a rib cartilage. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. If you are not satisfied, seek another opinion from an experienced Plastic Surgeon.

Concave Anthelix After Otoplasty?

+1

It is hard to know without reviewing your operative notes and examining your ear but my suspicion is that the antihelical fold has buckled following surgery either due to suture placement or potentially cartilage removal. The smooth contour suggests that this is likely due to suture placement. It should be possible to remedy this without resorting to rib cartilage. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon