Can Computer Cause or Worsen Droopy Eyelids?

I have droopy eyelids and plan to fix it soon. I am wondering what can cause or worsen this condition. I know looking at a computer screen too long can strain your eyes, but can it cause or worsen droopy eyelids? I would also like to know how long the results of ptosis surgery usually last? What else can I do/avoid to make sure that my eyelid correction lasts as long as possible?

+2

Hello Violet.  To answer your question, using a computer will not worsen your droopy eyelids (more commonly known as ptosis).  You may have difficulty keeping your eyelids open if the muscles are weak, but the use of the eyelids will not make the ptosis worse.  The exact cause of the ptosis is not clear to me from your description so I cannot answer your questions.  However, with a full Oculoplastic consultation, all your questions should be able to be answered.  If you go to my website below, you might get some more information.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Computer Usage and the Droopy Eyelid

+1

Violet, computer us will not worsen your droopy eyelids.  It can cause excessive eye strain which can cause headaches, but will not effect your upper eyelids.  Your upper lids are most likely droopy due to a combination of possible lid ptosis, brow ptosis, and excess upper lid skin (dermatochalasis).  I suggest careful consultation by a surgeon skilled in cosmetic and functional eyelid surgery.  They will decide what combination of ptosis repair, upper blepharoplasty, and forehead lift are necessary.  Good Luck....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Aging changes of eyelids are the result of your genetics plus environment.  Known environmental factors that can accelerate the expression of eyelid aging changes are cigarette smoking, allergies, excessive sun exposure, chronic lack of sleep, and trauma.  Use of the computer as an isolated activity, is not a known documented contributor.  I've had patients who have difficulty using their computer after eyelid surgery, and I attribute this to decreased blinking while concentrating on the screen continuously.... But not scientifically sure about this.  Regarding longevity of ptosis surgery, this is variable, and a question best addressed to your surgeon.

Steve Laverson, MD

Droopy eyelids and computers

+1

Thank you for your question, Violet.  In my opinion, long periods of time on the computer may make your eyes feel tired - but computers do no worsen droopy eyelids and will not affect your post-op result.  Choosing an experienced surgeon should provide you the best, long-lasting result.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Computer use does not cause droopy eyelids!

+1

You may need forehead lift, upper eyelid blepharoplasty, ptosis repair or all three, but watching TV or using a computer will not make things worse!

To find out what anatomic elements are in need of surgical treatment, and the options that are available to you, you should seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) who has the training and experience to do all of these operations, and can therefore recommend whichever combination of these is best for your exact anatomy.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

No relation between computer and eyelids!

+1

Droopy eyelids can certainly affect your vision, but viewing a computer has no effect!

Evaluation by a plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon will help determine if your droopiness is due to brow and eyelid heaviness only and/or the function of the deeper muscle tissue of the eyelid which can cause ptosis which may need a specific correction aside from the more common blepharoplasty or "eyelid surgery".

Correction of droopiness if done properly and if you are compliant with the recovery instructions should last a long time and may not need to be repeated even after years.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and computers

+1

Ptosis surgery on the eyelids is done to improve the position of the upper eyelid due to a weakness in the muscle that opens the eye, not the droopy skin.  Removing the excess skin of the upper lid during this procedure is a blepharoplasty, which will make your eyes look younger; so you are getting 2 operations at once.  Using computers or "straining" your eyes does not impact the muscle that raises your upper lid.  However, straining at the computer may increase (minimally) your frown muscles and crow's feet, but not to any greater extent than normal.

Your eyelid correction (ptosis repair) should last all your life.  Your upper lid skin may sag as the years go by, but you may not need to have them redone, or if so, it would be a lesser procedure.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon