Have I Compromised my Breast Augmentation by Exercising Too Soon?

I am two weeks post op and went to the gym. I was on the eliptical maching and held on to the hand rails to avoid movement on my chest. I also went to the grocery store and lifted my groceries in the car-- none too heavy. Later that afternoon I began to experience a burning pain. Two days later I am still experience burning pain. More painful than the surgery. Implants are underneath the muscle.

See your surgeon

I usually recommend that patients wait 3 weeks before beginning aerobic and lower body weight training and 6 weeks before lifting anything. You may have developed a complication. Please see your surgeon asap.  

Early exercise after surgery

It is a little early for such a degree of exercise, and I suggest toning it down a bit for another few weeks.  I tell my patients to walk and leisurely go about their daily routine, but not to do anything that will make them sweat for at least 3 weeks after surgery.  It is likely that the feelings you are experiencing are from temporary aggravation of the healing tissue and this will likely be fine in the end.  The more the tissues are stressed as they heal, the longer the healing will take, and the longer it will be until you are completely free of discomfort.  Slow and steady is the best way for recovery.

2 Weeks after Breast Augmentation and Exercise

This could represent nothing more than muscle strain to a muscle that is trying to heal.  An exam is needed to determine if the pocket, shape, or anatomy has changed.  I would recommend waiting 4 to 6 weeks before going to the gym.

Have I Compromised my Breast Augmentation by Exercising Too Soon

Take care, but you can exercise, first your breast should be swaddled in tight clothing, and start little by little.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Exercise to soon after breast augmentation

You may very well be doing too much too soon. As for buring pain that can represent several different things, and it is best to be evaluated by your doctor.