Compression Garments Before a Tummy Tuck?

My Nurse just called and she will be sending me my compression garment and that I need to start wearing it 6 to 8 hours everyday for the next 3 weeks / until my surgery (tt). I have never herd of this, why would he want me to do this?

TT- Pre-Operative Compressive Binders

+2

Excuse me for taking so long to answer this question. Pre-Operative Compressive Binders are utilized in some Plastic Surgeons practices BEFORE a Tummy Tuck to get the patient familiar with the tightness that occurs in the abdominal area after surgery. Plication, imbrication or tightening of the abdomen that normally occurs with a Tummy Tuck can be a bit uncomfortable and feel like an Internal Corset to many patients. By utilizing a Pre-Operative Compressive Binder the patient can used to this tightness BEFORE the Tummy Tuck.
 Pre-Operative Compressive Binders are just one part of our Critical Pathway of Care for our LipoAbdominoplasty patients. Most patients appreciate being forewarned of the tightness of the abdomen that normally occurs after a Tummy Tuck. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garments Before a Tummy Tuck

+2

While it is not common practice, compression garments prior to surgery is expected to help reduce the probabilit of blood clot. Ask your surgeon's office if this is their standard practice or if there is some specific concern in your case.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Pre-op Compression Garments as Part of DVT Protocol

+2

It may not be widely used, but I have seen compression garments used preoperatively as part of a protocol to reduce the risk of blood clots.  In theory, wearing a compression garment snuggly before surgery mimics the increase in intra-abdominal pressure seen with aggressive plication of the abdominal muscles during surgery.  This could give the body a chance to gradually adjust to potentially sluggish venous flow from the lower extremities before surgery rather than all at once during the procedure.  Although using pre-op abdominal garments may not be common, it is not unreasonable.  lhc

Lee H. Colony, MD
Lansing Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment BEFORE surgery?

+1

I have never heard of such a thing. I would suggest that you ask your surgeon as to his/her rational and please let me know what the reason is.

Good Luck!

That is stupid

+1

i think the idea of wearing compression garments before surgery is totally ridiculous. i have no idea where your dr got that idea from.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

+1

I can't even imagine an answer for that question. Many surgeons don't even use that garment after surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Compression garments before abdominoplasty

+1

I do not understand the logic of having you wear the garments in advance of surgery. That is not my practice, nor does my nurse recommend it. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Not sure?.....

+1

I have not heard of compression garments prior to surgery before.  I do not believe wearing them will either help or hinder you results. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon