Standards for Wearing Compression Garments After Liposuction?

I just had Vazer surgery done to my neck and waistline and stomach. The surgeon told me to wear the compression garments for three days straight then after that just in the night when I sleep. My sister-in-law had laser done and was told to wear her waist garment for six months as often as she can. Is there a stantard to follow? What would be the correct way for me to achieve the best results for my type of surgery?

Compression Garment After Liposuction Standards

+2

Compression Garments after Liposuction Surgery Guidelines

First off there are no "Standards"  for Vazer or traditional liposuction. (I personally do see a difference in results with Vazer vs traditional liposuction). Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.

Liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:

it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Compression garments after Vaser liposuction is doctor dependent

+2

Thanks for your question.

There are no absolute rules as it applies to wearing compression garments following liposuction procedures using the Vaser®. Personally, I do use the Vaser technology for my body contouring cases as I feel that I get l better results. I advise our head and neck cases to wear the neck compression garment as much as possible during the first week and then at night for the next 4-5 weeks.

For other areas such as the abdomen, back, hips, thighs, arms, and breast, I usually advise our patients to wear the compression garment as much as possible during the first week and then 12 hours or more each day for the next 5-6 weeks. I think it is important to massage the treated areas to mobilize any fluid and swelling.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Length of garment wear after liposuction

+2

There are no standards that are widely accepted and I can easily understand your confusion.

This can vary widely based on the technology and the extent of the procedure.

Surgeons may advise a particular time period based on their individual experiences.

Compress

+1
Every surgeon has their own guidelines regarding compression garments. It's best to listen to your surgeon since they know your particular characteristics.  

I generally recommend that the  garment be worn day and night for 3 weeks, removing it only to shower or wash the garment. From 3 to 6 weeks, the garment should be worn during the day, but you can take it off at night.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

There Are No Standard Guidelines for PostOperative Compression Garments Following Liposuction

+1

There are no standard guidelines for post-operative compression garments following liposuction.  Patients who undergo liposuction can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure.  In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post-operative period.  Although each patient should be considered individually, we generally recommend three to four weeks of compression following liposuction.
Compression minimizes swelling and decrease post-operative pain.  It helps to remodel the soft tissue by collapsing the tunnels created by the liposuction cannula during the procedure.  Compression contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.
Post-operative care following liposuction needs to be individualized and can be affected by variety of factors.  These may include, the amount of fat removed, the baseline skin laxity, the type of liposuction performed and the surgeons preference.  If you have concerns regarding post-operative compression garments, it’s important that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

+1

I usually recommend patients to wear compression garments for 6 weeks post liposuction. This helps reduce swelling and maintain shape. It is very important to keep the area's that have been liposuctioned compressed as much as possible. Best of luck in your recovery.

Jaime Perez, MD

Garments worn post liposuction surgery

+1

Every surgeon is different with their post op directions to their patients so I would follow your surgeon's direction for after surgery. I normally recommend that the compression garment is worn for 4 weeks after liposuction surgery and it may depend on exactly what areas were treated.

Please make sure that you are consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this type of procedure and follow his/her directions for post op care.

Liposuction and compression

+1

Post op care following cosmetic surgery varies between surgeons. For liposuction, the duration of wearing the compression is dependent on the surgeon's experience and techniques. In my practice, I ask my patients to wear the garment for one week for the neck and 4-6 weeks for the body lipo.

Wearing the neck garment is challenging because of the social issues. Lifting the chin up will help to keep the tissues tight and could help to avoid longer compression.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Garments and liposuction

+1

Of course you should follow your surgeon's guidelines, but in my practice, I ask the patients to wear compression for the neck for one week and for a month for the body.  The only reason I hedge on the neck is that the garment is visible and stops them from getting back to normal function.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS