Will not wearing your compression garment at night affect my Liposuction results of inner and outer thighs?

About 4 or 5 days after surgery I did not wear my garment at nite while I was sleeping for 5 nites. It was hurting too bad so I was not getting much sleep. But I did put in on in the am and kept it all day until bed. I am wondering if it has effected any of my results not wearing it 5 nites a few days after surgery. I noticed there is cellulite on the back of my thighs, lump on the left outer thigh and lump on the inner thigh. Also is that still just part of the swelling?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Liposuction healing

+1
While the downtime for Liposuction can vary from patient to patient, the initial healing period should just be a couple of days.

Since there are no hard and fast rules for the surgery and each patient reacts differently, what you are experiencing may be totally normal. You can help the swelling by eating a low salt diet, drinking a lot of water and keeping your compression garment on as much as possible for at least two weeks after surgery. You should definitely follow up with your doctor about any concerns.

Web reference: http://www.dccosmetics.com/procedures/body-contouring/laser-liposuction-dc/

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

+1
Hard to know for certain if you ended up affecting your end results. Most likely, your compression garment routine will not have a long term affect on your results. I think that there is some scant evidence that it can limit the amount of swelling and hasten your recovery time. But I still have not seen any evidence that compression garments actually affect the end result. But this question could be debated and I certainly could be proven wrong. 
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Wearing Compression Garments after Liposuction

+1
Generally speaking, virtually all plastic surgeons recommend wearing compression garments  for a number of weeks after liposuction.  The purpose is to control swelling, help prevent pockets of fluid from developing in the space where fat was removed, and even help the skin redrape as smoothly as possible over the newly reduced fatty layer.  However, there is wide variation in the suggested time for wearing compression.  I usually suggest 3 weeks, but some doctors may suggest a longer or shorter duration.  Also, the individual patient's condition and the extent of the surgery, such as how much fat was removed, all need to be considered.  Five days after surgery seems a little early to stop wearing the garment, and if it is so tight as to cause pain, then perhaps you need a slightly larger size.  Also, 1-2 weeks after surgery is still early enough that having some slight lumpiness is common.  You might have small areas of fluid that need to resorb.  I would suggest wearing the garment and also consider discussing a gentle circular massage of the treated areas with your surgeon.  As for any cellulite appearance,  liposuction does not correct cellulite; it only reduces the bulk in a given area.  The dimpling of cellulite will often remain following liposuction.

Web reference: http://www.pbplasticsurgery.com

Compression after lipo

+1
This is one of those questions that does not have an absolute answer. Each surgeon approaches it differently. As a result, it is reasonable to assume that there is some wiggle room. Nonetheless, I think the best answer in individual cases like this will come from the plastic surgeon who performed your procedure. Give him or her a call and allow them the first opportunity to use their knowledge of you and your procedure to get you the best answer.
Dr. Pyle
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Compression wear and liposuction

+1
Liposuction removes fat bluntly, and with such there is a lot of bruising and swelling. The compression garments are designed to decrease this bruising and swelling,as well as help the skin retract to its new contour. It can be uncomfortable to wear, but necessary for the best results. That said, what you are describing may be completely normal and should resolve over the next few weeks to months. We always expect some irregularities immediately after surgery. Massage the skin. Wear the garment for a couple of weeks and everything should be fine. Don't hesitate to check in with your doctor

Eric Weiss MD
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

+1

Wearing the compression garments can be very uncomfortable, how ever these are a key in getting the great results you've probably seen else where. This helps your body heal and helps the results to be smoother and have less irregularities.

Dr. Campos
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results when not wearing the compression garment

+1
I recommend that patients wear the compression garment continuously for at least the first week post op. It can affect swelling in different places, and most times, patients share that they like wearing the garment because it feels good to keep the swelling down. It sounds like you do have swelling which will not entirely go away for several weeks. The compression garment helps to reduce the time of recovery by reducing the swelling. In addition, make sure you are getting plenty of water (not soda or alcoholic beverages) and rest since your body is still healing. If your compression garment is not comfortable, ask your surgeon for a different size. It should be comfortably snug (without leaving deep indentations in your skin). I hope this helps and good luck with your recovery!