Compression garment after liposuction to thighs, back, stomach?

Last week I had fat lipo'd from my thighs, back & stomach. I asked the Dr's nurse do I have to continuing wearing the compression garment cuz I took it off 3 days after surgery and haven't put it on since. She said its up to me if I wanna wear it or not. I forgot to ask the actual Dr. who performed the surgery and its a hassle to get to him without making an appt. Can Dr's here share thoughts about whether patients should continue wearing the garment and if so, why and how long after surgery?

Compression garments are useful but not critical after liposuction.

+2

Most plastic surgeons have their patients where a compressive garment for several weeks after liposuction. There is no proof however that it has any profound effect on the final outcome.

Compression garment after liposuction

+2

While I usually recommend a compression garment to patients because I think it hold them in well, some surgeons do not use them at all. I would follow your surgeon's instructions.

I recommend all my patients to wear pressure garments atleast for 6 months post surgery

+2

i recommend all my patients to wear pressure garments atleast for 6 months post surgery,especially it is very important to wear them atleast for the first 6 weeks,it helps to keep the skin and subcu pressed against the underlying structures and helps mould them perfectly.It also prevents edema.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon