Compression Garment Not Used Immediately After Male Breast Reduction?

My doctor wanted me to wait one week after my gynecomastia op to get fitted for compression garmet cause he said swelling will have gone down and we could get a better fit. Everything I read on here states that compression garmets are most important in the first week post op. is this a mistake for me to wait that long?

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Compression Garment after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

Every plastic surgeon may have different preferences with the use of  compression garments.  Some may not use garments at all.  If you have concerns,  it would be best for you to ask your plastic surgeon about his rationale behind  his recommendations. Otherwise, online consultation may be unhelpful/confusing.

Compression after Male Breast Reduction

+1

I typically place patients in a comression garment after male breast reduction.  However, if there is any concern about blood supply to the nipple, for example, it may be appropriate to avoid compression until your doctor can evaluate you postop to make sure everything is healing properly.  Its a good question and one you should ask your surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after gynecomastia

+1
Personally, I prefer to place patients in the compression garment at the conclusion of the surgery because swelling reaches its peak at 48-72 hours postop. If swelling decreases such that the initial garment does not fit, a substitute can be provided. Ask your surgeon to explain the method he has proposed and whether he does so because of postop drains.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Compression after gynecomastia treatment is important but not degree and timing vary

+1

Compression applied after gynecomastia treatment depends on the technique used and the particular tissue situation.  In some cases, a high degree of compression may be contraindicated, particularly if drains are used.

Discussing your particular situation with your board certified plastic surgeon is the best option to clarify the problem.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon