Compression Garment After Liposuction - Can I Substitute with Another Garment or Back Brace?

The compression garment supplied by the office is rough and uncomfortable, I do not have it too tight but its driving me crazy and is itchy. I know compression is important is it ok if I wear a back brace, it covers my entire area treated (lower abdomen and flanks) and is much softer and more comfortable. I also have tight girdles would that be ok as well, thanks

Compression garments not necessary for most liposuction patients.

+2

Hi.

We have found that if you wear compression garments, you will look better one week after liposuction.  But at  3 weeks, you look the same with or without garments. So we seldom use them.

Many patients find Spanx helpful and comfortable.

Garments for post liposuction

+1

You can use a different compression garment after liposuction surgery, however I recommend you have your surgeon check it out to be sure it is enough compression in the right places.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Compression after liposuction

+1
The compression delivered by garments after liposuction helps minimize bruising and can make visible swelling less. Some patients feel more comfortable after compression but if the garment is uncomfortable then try a different one including store-bought compression undergarments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Compression Garments Important. But Can Be Any Kind

+1

With regards to compression garments after liposuction, it really doesn't matter what kind they are, as long as they provide compression.  Whether it is back brace, girdle, spanks, etc. makes no real difference.  You just want it to be firm and provide compression to the desired areas.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Using Comfortable Compression Garment after Liposuction

+1

Regarding: "Compression Garment After Liposuction - Can I Substitute with Another Garment or Back Brace?
"

Gentle uniform compression after liposuction reduces swelling and helps direct healing uniformly. It is disappointing how some surgeons may be fanatical in addressing every detail of the surgery but delegate the choice and type of a compression garment to others who may be lacking their attention to detail resulting in potential compromise of results.

Liposuction is not a sin and it need not be punished by using self-injuring, penance provoking clothing (hair shirt or cilice-like) compression garment. There is no reason for a surgical garment to be a torture device.

If your surgeon will not provide you with a comfortable compression garment, I suggest either the SPANX or its much cheaper copy the ASSETS (sold at Target). Either one will do the job.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

It is important to find a garment that provides smooth and gentle compression without excessive gathering which can cuase friction burns or consriction bands that worsen swelling.

Compression following liposuction

+1

Yes.  You can certainly use an alternative compression garment.  The ones supplied to most surgery centers are created in bulk and fit a broad range of sized.  Spanx is a brand available at many department stores and may be more comfortable.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

I do believe compression is important after liposuction, but the type of compression isn't.  So you can use a waistbinder or SPANX or any other girdle-type garment you wish.  Be sure that all the treated areas are actually compressed.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Compression garment after liposuction.

+1

Yes you can substitute a girdle or other garment that holds the tissue in place. I have our patients use spandex for this purpose,

Compression Garments- Itchy garments might mean an ALLERGY problem!

+1

If you are really itchy, it could be you are allergic to one of the fibers in the garment- you should see your surgeon to rule that out.  

After liposuction, a compression garment can help reduce swelling and help to improve results.  The garments used for medical problems are specially designed.  If you look carefully at stretchy fabrics, you will notice that some only stretch in one direction (biased), whereas others will stretch in both directions.  Special support garments are sewn so that the bias angle (the direction of stretch) is purpose specific.  Some have several layers in one panel but not others.  Your surgeon may not have explained what the purpose of your specific garment is, so just ask!  

Another important feature is where the seams are, and whether or not they are padded or taped.  If you had subdermal  or subcutaneous liposuction done, then the garment should not have any thing poking into your skin, since that could leave a slight indentation when healed.  Better medical compression garments are designed not to do that.  

I have recommended that my patients use a tight cotton undershirt underneath the garment ( that is long enough to cover your skin and tight enough to not cause any wrinkles in the fabric that is against your skin).  You should launder these undershirts daily, since about 90% of your dead skin cells and body oils will be absorbed by your undershirt, and it is best to change it daily (this is from NASA basic research into clothing back in the '60's).  Bleaches (usually chlorine based) always damage the stretch fibers in your garment, as does heat from a dryer, as well as direct UV light from the sun.  You should have rec'd the special washing instructions for your medical garment.   Usually I recommend that my patients wash on a gentle cycle using a simple detergent (woolite, or Ivory) without any bleach, double rinse it,  and and then air dry it out of direct sunlight.  Stain release agents may be used depending on the fabric if you have any blood or bodily fluid stains on it.

Regarding your other garments that you want to use instead, just bring them into your doctor's office and they can have a look at them and decide if they are appropriate in your case. 

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD