Can Too Much Compression Cause Edema? I Think my Garment is Causing my Abdomen to Swell

I'm using a Vedette Dual Compression body suit post abdominal lipo. It's giving me a very hour glass shape, however, my lower abdomen seems bloated. Could the compression garment be causing this? Here is the product: http://www.vedettestore.com/eng/search.php?comp=2

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

Too much compression can cause many problems for patients recovering from liposuction.  Garments are helpful for reducing swelling, but should be comfortable without excessive pressure.

Compression

+1

It is best to check with your surgeon to see what they recommend.  However, it is important to make sure that the compression is even.  If there is more compression in one area than another, then you may have areas with more swelling (the areas with the less compression).  If this happens, you may need a different garment or you can purchase some sheet foam at at a hardware store or craft store and strategically place it under the garment to maximize compression in those areas.  However, check with your surgeon before changing anything that they are recommending.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Can too much compression cause Edema?

+1

Absolutely.  Compression garments are great and a must after most body shaping procedures, however, as you swell after surgery the compression increases.  I have often seen arm garments become too tight after brachioplasty or upper arm liposuction and cause swelling in the lower arm and hand.  If this happens to you, you can cut a small slit in the end of the garment to release some of the tension.  Otherwise, you should remove the garment and wrap with something like a Ace bandage instead until the initial swelling goes down and you can then replace your compression garment.

See your PS soon, to make sure everything is alright and healing well.  Take care, Erez Sternberg, MD.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon